A solution?

This is follow-up from Case Study 19.

What do you feel the solution would be?

I think that Jean and Pat should work closely with each other on the project because of Patís experience as an instructional designer. Because they are both new they can also give each other support as they face the challenges ahead. I feel that the project should move forward. Towards the end of the meeting Harry seemed a little more convinced and because he is the department chair he will have to be one of the first people to get support from. By having his support it will be easier to get the teachers to implement the changes. As for Sam I think it is important to use his expertise so that he feels like he is a big part of the project. The teachers are the ones that need to support this project the most because they are the ones teaching the classes. If they do not agree with the changes or support them then the during the evaluation stage the results may be more negative thus showing that the changes was not successful.

I agree that this is a common case. In fact I have faced situations like this quite frequently this past year because I am new in a position and I am supposed to convince faculty to change some things to help our students. Getting support is a big part of it but also making the faculty feel like they are involved in the decision making is sometimes the most important.

Posted by sthielen at 8:29 PM

Working in Teams

Like any position, an instructional designer can face very challenging days at work. This past week in class my partner and I presented our case study and although we could have approached it in many ways, we decided to use the case study as a way to show what instructional designers face when working with a team of people on a project.

We did a hand slap activity in class which was designed to show how people feel when someone puts them down, makes them feel unappreciated, discriminated against, ect. This activity brought about many discussions on working together in teams and dealing with the people that can make our job very hard and frustrating. The point of the hand slap activity was that the more your hand is slapped, the more you feel miss treated, the more hurt you feel. However, someone thought that once your hand is slapped to much it goes numb. This is very true and in most cases we start to ignore the bad treatment that we receive. Another person made the argument that although our hand may become numb we may still have a calase or scare. Although we may be able to handle the pain, it doesnít go away.

When I feel like my hand it slapped I always know who my support people are. It is important to have people that are supporting what you do.

Posted by sthielen at 9:02 PM