Family of girl hurt in a wading pool sues
Abigail Taylor, a 6-year-old Edina girl had part of her intestines torn out when she sat on a drain in a wading pool last June 29. Now her family has filed suit Thursday against the Minneapolis Golf Club and the pool manufacturer, Sta-Rite.
The suit places blame on the golf club and the pool equipment manufacturer for the accident which sucked out 21 feet of Taylor's small intestines when she sat on an uncovered suction outlet. It specifically accuses the golf club of not properly installing the cover and frame, failure to inspect it and failure to close the pool when the cover came off. The suit also accuses the manufacturer of not coming up with a safer product when they knew it was hazardous.
The attorney for the family, Robert Bennett, said that the child's medical expenses could total $30 million over the course of her life. This far exceeds the $6 million in liability insurance that the golf club possesses.
Taylor will undergo a small intestine transplant which will keep her hospitalized for six months according to her attorney.
Taylor has been hospitalized two times for approximately one month each time since the accident.