What I will remember...

Thumbnail image for Men are from Mars.jpgThere are two things I will most remember from this class, the dangers of popular psychology and the importance of the six principles of scientific thinking. I have learned that popular psychology is not to be trusted or weighed too heavily as it may skew actual psychological research and in some cases may be completely false.
I have always been a bit of a skeptic when it comes to popular psychology, but I have generally thought of it as an issue in popular non-fiction literature, especially the "Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus" brand of popular literature. Recovered Memory.jpgHowever, through this class I was able to see how very harmful some popular trends can be, extending far beyond one's dating life and into matters of the law.
Specifically, I think of the satanic sex abuse scandals of the 1980's and the idea that psychology can be misused to accuse innocent people of terrible (and sometimes absurd) crimes.
I will remember the six principles of scientific thinking when I read stories in the news that involve new psychology theories and ways that psychology is being applied to everyday life and I will be better able to evaluate the validity of the claims made.