Chapter 3 Psych 1001

Chapter 3 is about biological psychology. I find this topic very interesting because of how everything works and fits together. There are many different chemicals involved in everything that a person does and thinks. These chemicals are crucial to the ability of the brain to do its job. There is the central nervous system and the peripheral nervous system. The central nervous system includes the spinal cord and brain and the peripheral nervous system is composed of nerves outside of the spinal cord and brain. Each of these nervous systems have many different aspects that all need to work together in order for the body to function. The brain has different sections that each have a specific function, but work together in order for the processes to function correctly. The frontal lobe "performs executive functions that coordinate other brain areas, motor planning, language, and memory" (Psychology, 94). The parietal lobe "processes touch information, integrates vision and touch" (Psychology, 94). The temporal lobe "processes auditory information, language and autobiographical memory" (Psychology, 94). The occipital lobe "processes visual information" (Psychology, 94). All of these parts are necessary. One thing that I found interesting was a section where it talked about the myth saying that we only use 10% of our brain. This was interesting to me because I have not heard this before. They came to the conclusion that we use all the different parts of our brain for different purposes.