Psychology and Scientific Thinking

After reading the first chapter of, "From Inquiry to Understanding," I have to say that it is a really good introductory chapter for what is to come. Throughout the entire chapter it discusses an array of topics and even mentions topics that will be covered in later chapters in a way that makes you want to begin reading that chapter now. For example, "As we'll learn in Chapter 3, the 'mind' is just the brain in action." There they give you a small snip-it of what you can expect in Chapter 3 once you get there. Also in chapter one they address the questions that most people have in regards to Psychology. They give you a definition of Psychology, which is "a scientific study of the mind, brain and behavior." Along with this they discuss why Psychology is so difficult which is mostly due to the fact that it is hard to prove your theories because there are so many contrary theories out there. The part of the chapter that most interested me is when they talked about Common Sense. They state how many of the "common sense statements" that we quote on the daily, conflict with others. For example, Birds of a feather flock together vs. opposites attract; and Absence makes the heart grow fonder vs. Out of sight, out of mind. This part of the article really made me think, because I never really realized how contradictory these statements were. MonstersIncForTheBirdsWallpaper1024.jpg All in all, I thought that this chapter did a great job of submerging the reader into the material that was going to be covered throughout the duration of the book.Very interesting.
Psychology.gif