Are you a victim or know anyone who has the Alzheimer's disease?

What causes it:
- The disease occurs at alarming rates as people age. The risk for Alzheimer's disease is 13 percent for those over 65 years of age, but 42 percent for those over 85 years of age. - The cognitive impairments of Alzheimer's disease are both memory and language related.

What has been done to treat it:
- There exists medications that alleviate some of the symptoms of alzheimer's, like the drug Aricept which boost acetylcholine levels in the brain. Neurons that connect directly to muscle cells also release acetylcholine, allowing them to trigger movement. There are also experimental procedures such as gene therapies that enhance the production of neurotrophic factors, which enable acetylcholine neurons to survive and thrive. Sadly, there exists no treatment to date that halts or reverses the course of Alzheimer's disease.

What can be done prevent it:
- A research was made to see if anything can be done to reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease. The research demonstrated that being physically active reduces the risk of cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease. Also, people who are highly educated and intellectually active are at decreased risk of Alzheimer's disease.

The experiences of those with the disease:
- The memory loss begins with recent events, with memories of the distant past being the last to go. Those who have the disease may experience a few of the following events. People with the Alzheimer's disease forget their grandchildren's names before forgetting their children's names. They may also experience disorientation and are frequently at a loss as to where they are, what year it is, or who the current president is.

Personal Opinion:
In my life there only exists one person whom i know to be 79 years old, which is my grandpa. At this age he is still working wherever he possibly can which makes him physically active making the disease preventable. I have never heard of him having memory loss or anything related to that issue. My grandpa is about to be 80 years old and I don't see any signs of him having this type of disease and I'm thankful for that.