Blog Number 2, Perception and Sensation

After going through the chapters for this section I was drawn to perception and sensation. I found this chapter rather interesting and wanted to reread and go into greater depth on a few of the subjects found in the chapter that interested me. Inattentional blindness really interested me. It's amazing to me that you could watch a video and count the number of times a basketball is thrown and completely miss a gorilla walk through the picture. I was a victim to this, when I watched the video I didn't even notice the gorilla. I was also interested in change blindness, where you fail to detect obvious changes in your environment. Another section of this chapter that really interested me was the section on how we perceive color. The trichromatic theory says that we base our color perception based on three colors; blue, red, and green. The opponent process theory suggests that we perceive colors in terms of three pairs of opponent cells; red and green, blue or yellow, and black or white. After reading the chapter again I realized I have always been interested in blindness. I have really bad eye sight so I think that's why I'm so interested in what happens what you can't see at all. But I didn't know that you could be motion blind. Motion blindness is when people can't string still images processed by their brains into the perception of ongoing motion. The last thing I will address from this chapter is blindsight. Blindsight is where people who've experienced damage to a specific area of their cortex can still make correct guesses about the visual appearance of things around them. This to me is very interesting because I always thought you were blind or you weren't, there was no in between. This chapter all in all has made me more interested in perception and sensation and I would like to know more.

I find inattentional blindness to be a very interesting concept as well. I also was victim to not seeing the gorilla walk through the scene in the video referenced above. Our minds can become so focused on a task given at hand that we can completely ignore everything else going around around us. I also think it would be interesting to see if someone with attention disorders such as ADHD would actually be better at noticing the gorilla due to their inability to focus on the passing of the basketball.

I am very interested in this as well, since I have very poor vision too. What really captured my attention in the chapter, like you said, was the motion blindness. You could virtually see nothing going on in the world if your brain couldn't string together "moving" pictures which is very frightening to me. It is amazing how connected the brain is to the rest of your body.