Nature AND Nurture

Over the course of this semester we have covered many interesting topics. But the one that I will remember the most is the concept of nature vs. nurture. This is an age old debate that centers on the contributions of genetic inheritance and environmental factors. Some philosophers such as Plato and Descartes suggested that certain things occur naturally regardless of environmental influences. While others believe the mind begins as a blank slate. Today most experts believe that behavior and development are influenced by both nature and nurture. It is not one or the other, but a combination of both. However, the issue still continues in many areas such as the debate on the origins of homosexuality and influences on intelligence. I found it particularly interesting because of the large role the University of Minnesota played in research on this topic through the use of twin studies. I think this debate will be interesting to continue to follow as researchers make new discoveries on components that make up our personality influenced by nature and nurture.
pbe0005l.jpg

All of the twin studies at the U are incredibly interesting- especially how they connect with many things that we have learned about. It seems that many of the topics brought up connected with the nature vs. nurture debate show signs that nature and nurture play a role, it makes me wonder how much longer it is going to be a debate...

i found nature and nurture also fascinating, i think i will definitely remember this 5 years from now, especially the research done by the U. The study that i will probably remember the most are the studies done on the Twins.

The debate about nature vs. nurture was a concept that I will also remember five years from now. I find this topic very interesting because there have been many studies that try to prove either nature or nurture determines personality traits. I also found this topic interesting because there were a lot of twin studies that were performed here at the U.

I think that this is a very interesting topic as well. The case that we read about the crime family was something that stuck with me. This story freaked me out. It was weird to try to determine how the children would end up. It was sad to read about this story and what the family was going through.

The nature versus nurture debate is one that I think fascinates so many of us because it is one that will not be easily resolved any time soon. Both play roles, evidenced by the twin studies among others. These findings add fuel to the debate, in that both sides have proof to back their sides, yet there is proof in the opposition. It makes for one of the more controversial and interesting topics of psychology.

I really like the twin study. It demonstrates how nurture isn't all there is to personality. I like to think that I'd be a somewhat similar person to who I am now, even if I was raised differently.