« Iranian Arms Factories Linked to Iraqi Shiites | Main | South Dakota Reworks Abortion Ban »

Obama Officially Enters Presidential Race

Sen. Barack Obama D-Ill., officially announced his campaign for the White House on Saturday in Illinois. Obama would become the United States' first black president if he were to win in Nov. 2008.

Thousands endured the cold to hear Obama's speech in front of the Old State Capital. Obama acknowledged his apparent lack of experience in the nation's capital, especially compared to rival for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton. He proposed using his limited experience as a vehicle for political change.

"I know I haven't spent a lot of time learning the ways of Washington. But I've been there long enough to know that the ways of Washington must change," said Obama.

Obama also referenced President Abraham Lincoln, who delivered his famous "A house divided..." speech at the Old State Capital in 1858.

Read more about Obama entering the race for the White House in the New York Times and the Pioneer Press.