C.I.A. Intelligence Officer Pleads Guilty in Leaks Case

By Brett Stolpestad

A former U.S. intelligence officer pleaded guilty to disclosing the identity of a Central Intelligence Agency Officer covert agent in federal court Tuesday, the L.A. Times reported.

A former C.I.A. intelligence officer, John Kiriakou, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Va. to one charge of leaking the identity of former colleagues to journalists, the N.Y. Times reported.

Kiriakou faced charges of disclosing the identity of two covert agents who were involved in a C.I.A. program aimed at detention and interrogation of al-Qaeda suspects, the N.Y. Times reported.

Kiriakou faces a 30-month sentence to prison and a $250,000 fine under the plea agreement, the L.A. Times reported.

The case marks another victory for the Obama administration in its effort to crack down on leaks and disclosure of classified government information, the Washington Post reported.