This news blog is an education excercise involving students at the University of Minnesota. It is not intended to be a source of news.

Search called off for Florida man presumed dead

Florida officials ended their search Saturday for a Tampa man whose bedroom was engulfed by a sinkhole, CNN said.

The sinkhole began its damage Thursday night at Jeff Bush's home he shared with five other family members, including his brother, Jeremy, who attempted to find and rescue Jeff from the hole, the Chicago Tribune said.

"I couldn't get him out. I tried so hard. I tried everything I could," Jeremy said, according to CNN. "I could swear I heard him calling out."

The sinkhole is roughly 20 feet to 30 feet wide and could be up to 30 feet deep, Engineering Company President Bill Bracken, who assisted emergency workers, said, according to CNN.

The next step will be tearing down the house, presumably Sunday morning, Mike Merrill, county administrator for Hillsborough County, said Saturday, according to CNN.

Sinkholes, which are formed by rock erosion, are a common risk in Florida, according to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, the Chicago Tribune said.