How to Use Moodle:
1. Notifying participants (UofM and non-UofM) not already added to Learning Abroad Online Orientations Moodle Course
Manual emails to students informing them of URL to visit regarding explanation of and access to online orientations.
2. Adding participants
Enrollment by central UofM Moodle support: CLICK HERE for instructions on requesting a bulk list of participants not currently in Moodle be added by OIT Moodle support staff.
Self-Enrollment by participants: CLICK HERE for instructions on setting up a course to allow participants to self-enroll. The instructions can be found under the second main heading half-way down the page.
LAC staff can add students one by one. This happens in the "Assign Roles" function.
3. Moving presentations into Moodle
CLICK HERE to link to the instructions for uploading presentations. Use option 2.
4. Moving presentations with quizzes into Moodle
CLICK HERE to link to the instructions for uploading presentations with quizzes so quiz scores may be tracked in the Moodle Gradebook. Use option 3.
5. Monitoring participants' required orientation completion and reminders
This will happen through the Gradebook and logs. More automated functionality will be in Moodle 2.0 version that will be available Summer 2011.
Reminders will be manual emails that the orientation coordinator must manage.
1. If we can have the orientations be an academic course of linked to one, we can operate like we used to in UMConnect and register participants. How do we go about this? What academic course could we attach this to?
06/28/2010- working with Emily Mraz and Sarah Groskreutz to get current appropriate LAC staff assigned as instructors to these courses so we can use them to manage participant registration in Moodle.
ANSWER - can't change/use instructors. There's no one course or small number of courses that all participants "take". Moreover, the timing of assigning the courses happens too late for orientation. (via Sarah Groskreutz)
2. How many LAC orientations should be in Moodle?
3. How to deal with different terms of participants? Groups? Sections? New Course?