« New age limit set for safe-haven law in Nebraska | Main | Guilty plea in prostitution charges for New Brighton City Council member »

NPR journalist experiences car bombing in Baghdad

A bomb attached to the car of an NPR reporter and three Iraqi colleagues went off as it sat parked on a street in West Baghdad. All four escaped injury.

Reporter Ivan Watson stood nearly fifteen feet away while interviewing two area shop owners when the car exploded due to a bomb that was placed underneath the driver’s seat of the “armored? BMW.

Watson reportedly told NPR that the “bomb appeared to have been one of the so-called sticky bombs that insurgents have increasingly used to lethal effect in Baghdad over the past year.?

According to the Associated Press, several anonymous Iraqi soldiers “said they had arrested a suspect, an egg vendor who had suspected family links to a member of al-Qaida in Iraq.?

NPR reported that an “Iraqi army officer said an informant had called in with a tip that the bomb had been attached to the BMW while the NPR journalists were inside the restaurant.?

Because increased security in Baghdad has stalled the use of truck bombs as of recently, “sticky bombs? have come to replace the former as they are attached to many vehicles daily.

I really enjoyed reading the story by NPR because the entire article came from a direct source that was actually there and had experienced everything. Reading an article in the first person was a different experience, but it made me trust the information that was being relayed to me more.

I also noticed that NPR mentioned the street where the bombing happened and then gave the history of the street, which was a great addition to the story and very interesting to read.
“Rabiye Street was once a bustling commercial boulevard, where boutiques and popular cafes faced the gardens of a grassy median. At the height of the fighting in 2005, 2006 and 2007, this district was the scene of intense clashes and bloody massacres involving insurgents from al-Qaida in Iraq.?

I found it interesting that in the Associated Press’s article, the author said that the Iraqi soldiers who arrested the vendor remained anonymous due to media relations policies, yet in the NPR account, one of the soldiers was named. "I received a call just three minutes before it exploded," said Iraqi national army Capt. Heider Fawzi. (NPR)