« Guilty plea in prostitution charges for New Brighton City Council member | Main | Tainted pork in Ireland leads to investigation of other countries »

David Gregory named new Meet the Press Host

Meet the Press Interim host Tom Brokaw officially announced David Gregory as the new host to take over beginning next Sunday.

Brokaw has been filling in since this past summer, after the unexpected death of Tim Russert in June

Yahoo News reported that other TV correspondents, "Andrea Mitchell, Chuck Todd and Gwen Ifill had also been under consideration."

Gregory is quoted as saying in the Hartford Courant, "I'm honored and deeply humbled as I take on this role," Gregory, 38, in a statement. "I'm filled with a great sense of purpose as I join a superb team to cover Washington and the world from a treasured platform in our country. Above all, I want to make Tim proud."

The Hartford Courant, while presenting hard news facts, was also an op-ed piece that talked one-sidedly about the negative aspects of Gregory's hiring. It mentioned Gregory's strained relationships with President Bush's spokespersons.