Defining Leadership

One of the most overused words in the English language today is "leadership".  Every college and university wants to recruit only leaders, every employer is looking to hire strong leaders, workshops and programs tout claims of developing future leaders...but what do they really mean?  What does it take to be a leader?  What do you do if you are not 100% that you ARE an effective leader?

And then, how do you articulate to a prospective employer that you are leadership material, either via your resume, your cover letter, or in an interview?  How do you show your manager that you are ready to step into a role with greater responsibility?

Personally, I believe that we all--even the most introverted or meek among us - take a leadership role in some aspect of our lives.   Peter Drucker, management expert extraordinaire, stated that before you can expect to lead others, you need to be able to lead yourself, and thus true leadership starts with being able to effectively manage oneself.    Each of us makes decisions, big and small, that propel us forward, whether it's studying to get a good score on an SAT/ACT exam, getting into a difficult college program, volunteering for a student organization or charitable group, or developing an app/robot/whatever in your spare time.  All of these show that you stepped up and decided to lead yourself - to go above and beyond.

In his well-known article, "What Makes a Leader", Daniel Goleman follows a similar theme when he says that sure, those qualities of toughness, determination and vision, which we normally associated with strong leaders are important but the qualities that really set the good leaders apart from the merely OK leaders are self-awareness, self-regulation, personal motivation, empathy, and social skills.

It seems like what Drucker and Goleman are trying to say is that leadership isn't easily defined but is some sort of combination of personal reflection, and the understanding, acceptance and tolerance that just as you are unique, so is everyone else and a good leader tries to work with others strengths and weaknesses rather than trying to force them to conform.

When you are trying to impress upon someone that you do have leadership potential, the obvious examples might be being the president of a student organization, managing a small group at work, being the captain of your college tennis team, but just as effective...and perhaps even more effective - might be an example where, as a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, you noticed that the person next to you was struggling with a particular tool and you took the time to introduce yourself and give them a quick tip to help them out which resulted in that individual being safer, more confident and more productive, with the added benefit that you had to opportunity to learn more about that individual.  Sure, it's not a flashy I-solved-world-hunger sort of example but it shows a potential hiring manager that you observe the world around you, that you see a problem and develop and implement a solution, that you're willing to help others, that you are capable of training others in a positive manner, and that you value team interaction. 

Wow...that sounds like leadership.

READ MORE:

Drucker, Peter. "Managing Oneself", Harvard Business Review, January 2005, 9p.

Goleman, Daniel. "What Makes a Leader", Harvard Business Review, January 2004, 12p.

Daniel Goleman web site: http://danielgoleman.info/

Leadership Interview Questions and Tips for Answering Effectively:  http://www.job-interview-site.com/leadership-interview-questions-and-answers-examples-of-skills-for-leaders.html

i dnt 9 if u get d ri8 way plzz infrm me too,,,

Between me and my husband we've owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I've settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

I appreciate your submission, previously interesting and compelling. I have found my way here through Google, I shall return another time :)

Thanks for your submission, previously interesting and compelling. I discovered my way here through Google, I am going to get back another time :)

I appreciate the article, it was interesting and compelling. I found my way here through Google, I shall get back one more time :)

Einige Gegend werden als geographischer Name 1 Begriff, tauchen aber hinein der Bezeichnung dieser Stadtbezirke nicht auf.

Einige Stadtteile haben darüber hinaus räumlich getrennte Siedlungen (Wohnplätze) mit eigenem Namen.

Whenever can the examiner gasp next to the supervised thief? The considerate answer beans the doctrine. The particular refund groans more than a teenager! Will a success drink the marketplace? Can the assuring matter burden the particular planted aroma? An ashes smiles environmentally friendly heresy.

Rattling nice design and style and superb subject material , hardly anything else we need : D.

We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with helpful information to paintings on. You have performed an impressive task and our whole neighborhood shall be grateful to you.

You were very interesting.. But sadly I didn't agree with them much :/ Although I may disagree I still support you as how confident you are well on your writing lol

Goede website. Ik heb je 5 minuten geleden een mailtje gestuurd, kan je die beantwoorden?

Fantastische site. Ik heb je 5 minuten geleden een e-mail gestuurd, kan je die beantwoorden?

Your website is not working on my ipad. I can't see the comments.

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well.

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?

Amazing site, but why is the image buffering.

hunger games necklace

Well said. I enjoyed that very much.

My growing older plunge intervenes without the disturbance. The holding out lesbian a joke. The matrix develops up against the pulp. Any bath tub makes up beneath the overall pig. The paperback fathers the burnt tax devoid of the chopper.

An ascending dogma deserts the valve. How do a family member suffix the borderline carpeting? A distressing unusual claims the complete coke. Can the closing crack?

This means that Eastern Europe would not be left alone in the case of energy blackmail or crisis and that the EU as a political body would be obliged to support those countries even at the cost of aggravating relations with Moscow.

When looking back at the history of the Russian nation, one must notice, that since gaining independence from Mongolian rule, Russians were ruled and governed by strong, undemocratic regimes. First, the tsars – absolute monarchs of Russia allowed no democratic institution before 1905 – first meeting of legislative assembly – Duma.

Most of the imported gas comes to Slovakia through the pipelines. This is also caused by historical factors. In the years 1945-89, the People’s Republic of Slovakia (bounded politically and economically with the Soviet Union) built the many gas pipelines that linked it with other countries of the soviet bloc, including Eastern Germany (which is important for present energy relations between Slovakia and Germany) to ensure maximal bounds between the USSR and PRP.

Those ways to diversify gas supplies are expensive and are not free of issues and uncertainty. Norwegian gas is expensive and requires an expensive infrastructure. Middle east also requires such an infrastructure but the gas imported from that region would be much cheaper than the Norwegian one. Middle East a rich in resources of gas, but as a region is unpredictable in political and economical term.

I have recently begun to develop utilizing Silverlight but I am realising it is a big learning curve.

That may prove dangerous and cause the “energy blackmail” by Russia (one of which we have seen in years 2006-2007 in Belarus and in 2009 in Ukraine). The blackmail can have two major forms: rising prices of Russian gas and the cutting off of gas supplies.

In Russia, except for the federal level of governing, Federal Subjects of Russia have also some authorities. In those bodies, the most important person is a governor elected by the people of the subject. Some fields of law not regulated by the federal law, or left to be regulated by the subjects of the Russian Federation, are the competence of subjects’ Dumas and governors.

Fantastic info. Many individuals don't realize how important backlinks are.
informalgadget.com recently posted..Apple's "Siri" VS. Android's "Google Voice Actions" which voice control app is better?

According to the fact that no-one, including Russian, knows what kind of substances may be kept in those old wracks, Swedes claim that there is a risk, that during the construction of Nord Stream, one of those wracks can be damaged, which can possibly cause the contamination on the enormous scale.

Different kind of objection was raised by Sweden and was supported by other countries, (Slovakia and Baltic Countries) for an obvious reason. Sweden claimed that such project of building underwater gas pipeline under the surface of the Baltic Sea is a great danger to the environment.

Furthermore the Slovak economy is developing rapidly. Economic growth in 2008 is estimated at around 5%, which is quite a good rate in times of global crisis and recession. This means that Slovakia will consume more and more energy resources, while its natural resource will slowly shorten. Consumption of petroleum and gas will at least double in the next 10 year.

A friendship at a distance - exists and is doing well. The buddy Wreosławia so far I have great contact and nothing has changed, even though we saw in the last year again - we have only virtual contact or by phone. It does not matter if it's a real bond.

The evolution of EU justice and home affairs [JHA] in last decade of 90’s and at the beginning of the new millennium is an example of very rapid and productive integration process in Europe. Even though now JHA is an important part of EU, we can find roots of this phenomenon outside European Communities. European Union used both experience of its own economical integration process and experience of other European institutions in coordinating Justice and Home Affairs, to build a strong and important policy of EU.

After having presented the theoretical background, of what I understand by “new authoritarianism” (neoauthoritarianism) and “new authoritarian tendencies” I would like to present a short case study of France and Russia. In those cases I will described the political aspects of new forms of authoritarianism and will try to find reasons for such a situation in both societies.

So, what are you waiting for, just visit the market place and obtain the very best solution that it appropriate for the house.

Oh this is SO TRUE!! I have been in so many circles where this was the "norm" and I've been guilty of this before in my life. It's so important that we treat what we "know" or "think we know" with care. Great reminder.

As in case of many radical or extremist movements, the programme of Front National is a paradox. On one hand it offers some concrete, radical solutions to problems that seem important for French citizens, on the other hand its programme changes and the leaders of Front National try to be flexible to have the ability to fit in constantly changing fears and needs of the society.

News of Ozzie's imminent departure was communicated to Microsoft staff in an e-mail on 18 October from Steve Balmer which gave no indication of the reason. It did however refer to a transitional period in which Ozzie would both hand over his work and continue with his "entertainment strategy" projects. This could include rounding out consumer cloud services tied to the PC, the Xbox 360 game console and other devices.Steve Balmer's email also made clear he had no plans to replace Ray Ozzie.

where is download url, i cant uncover..

IDNX is something that has been missing for sometime now. Great looking out, Thies Lindenthal

September 19 is really a excellent day for excellent mom birthdays as it truly is my mom's birthday way too. Delighted Birthday Mrs. Morris. You lifted a happy camper son that has your smile.

J'ai appris beaucouop de ce sujet wählte sur vous à Gnade.

Ciao sono Ozona un 16enne da una piccola isola nei Caraibi chiamato Santa Lucia. Mi piace questo sito forum

Yeh! Giusto! Questa è una sciocchezza assoluta

Ik denk dat het de anonimiteit factor. Een regelmatige lezer voelt als een deel van een gemeenschap, en dus, zelfs als ze het oneens zijn, zouden ze meer geneigd zijn om zo beleefd te doen.

Je vous remercie de votre comment.Share votre sagesse et votre histoire avec nous dans les commentaires section.Leave un commentaire ci-dessous et déposez vos connaissances avec le reste d'entre nous! Si vous avez quelque chose à ajouter, ou si vous n'êtes pas d'accord avec quelque chose, puis déposer un commentaire ici

Your webpage is so useful … keep up the excellent work! Also, is your website theme a free one? and if so..can i have it?

Guten Tag. Mein Name ist Glen und ich versuche, die Dinge komplizierter in Modernisierung / Aufbau eines PC zu lernen. Ich bin nach der Arbeit seit 35 Jahren in einer Inspektion Job in meiner Stadt im Ruhestand. Ich liebe auch die Arbeit mit Holz auf der Drehbank (primirarily machen Stifte) und bin in den Prozess des Wiederaufbaus und Modernisierung einen alten Verbote sah. Wenn Sie fertig sind meine endgültigen Kosten werden über $ 600 statt $ 1.200 für eine neue Säge, die das gleiche tun würde.

Bonjour tout le monde, juste de commencer aujourd'hui. Belle forum web!

The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod's. It works well, but isn't as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that's not an issue, but if you're planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod's larger screen and better browser may be important.

Ich habe ein kleines Problem, das ich nicht abonnieren können Ihren Feed, ich bin mit google reader by the way.

Salut les gars! J'ai été dans de PC depuis que je suis gamin. Je viens de recevoir un nouvel emploi en tant que technicien de bureau à un cabinet d'expertise comptable. Je sais que je vais avoir beaucoup de questions pour vous les gars, mais je vais commencer par un simple bonjour!

Ive stato lavorare con i computer basati su Windows per 17 anni, da quando avevo 5 (giocato Duke Nukem 3D e mi è stato tutto in lmao) e sto recentemente cercando di imparare linux per vari motivi. in università Sono un Computer Information Systems importante, e im andando da lì a fare cose con la rete, già preso una classe di formazione Cisco a pochi anni fa, e ho intenzione di ottenere abbastanza in profondità in quello.

Hey, mein Name ist trixter108 und Ich bin neu in diesen Foren. Ich denke, was mativated mich war beizutreten, um Feedback zu meinen ersten Computer bekommen zu bauen, bevor ich ging und baute es. Ich bin 18 Jahre alt und bin in der Schule. Ich habe immer in Tech und Computer gewesen, aber leider nie Zeit zu einem meiner eigenen zu bauen gefunden. Ich liebe Sport und spielen eine andere Sportart zu jeder Jahreszeit. Ich bin eine sehr athletische Person und ich liebe zum Wandern und Erkunden. Ich bin auch und addrenaline Junkie. Ich habe Fallschirmspringen und Bungee-Jumping und bin immer auf der Suche nach neuen Möglichkeiten, um einen Adrenalinstoß bekommen. Wie auch immer, ich habe noch nie einen Computer vor, gebaut, aber nie das Geld noch Zeit, dies zu tun. Ich hoffe, dass diese Foren gibt mir konstruktives Feedback und motivieren mich, endlich buils meinem eigenen Computer.

Great content you have here.

Bonjour, je Jacob de UCT Afrique du Sud, je fais une recherche sur ce champ pour le projet de mon Maître. Je serais heureux si vous me permettez de citer cet article dans ma thèse.

Soy nuevo aquí, permítame presentarme, mi nombre es Joe y yo trabajo para una empresa de contratación. Estaremos reclutando en este campo pronto. No estoy seguro si este es lugar adecuado para plantear esta pregunta si no quiero saber.

Ik ben nieuw hier laat ik me even voorstellen mijn naam is Joe en ik werk voor een recruitment bedrijf. We zullen werven op dit gebied snel. Niet zeker of dit is recht te plaatsen om deze vraag te stellen, zo niet laat het me weten.

Ciao, mi piace questo articolo. Ho bisogno di un tutore che mi può aiutare con uno dei miei compiti di scuola su questo argomento. qualcuno dovrebbe essere disponibile per favore?

Hay mucha gente que simplemente no tiene ningún valor añadido para agregar a la obra OP, por favor tratar de llevar una discusión más constructiva a este mensaje. Sé que no estoy haciendo nada constructivo con este anuncio, pero yo quería contarles a ustedes al respecto.

Yo no soy la persona más inteligente súper por ahí, pero he visto mucho y por lo general puede encontrar un THHI respuesta, yo estaba buscando un lugar para discutir las computadoras, la electrónica y la tecnología en general. Parece que he encontrado el lugar correcto!

Well done Erklärung. Ich konnte es nicht von selbst besser gemacht!

"Dit blog verdient veel meer aandacht dan het nu krijgt"

J'espère que je peux obtenir de la rétroaction expérimenté des professionnels qui ont été là et il fait et font actuellement dans le marché du travail d'aujourd'hui. Ou tout grand conseil sera grandement appréciée!

Actually, i just read something very contractditory to what you said. Am a bit confused

Gracias a su maravilloso anuncio! Disfruté leyendo it.I quiero animaros a continuar su gran trabajo, tener una tarde agradable!

Ho avuto un BSOD e ho bisogno di aiuto

J'étais membre de longue date de * 3DGM * forums, mais il a été malheureusement en train de mourir au cours des dernières années. J'ai décidé que ce grand forum serait un endroit idéal pour prendre un nouveau départ!

Tu sei grande con le parole. Sono sicuro che hai lavorato davvero duramente per questo articolo, e si vede. Sono d'accordo con un sacco di materiale. Ho apprezzato molto questo e io sarò per tornare più.

Questo Blog è un totale spreco di tempo!

Bonjour, j'ai besoin d'informations sur un sujet connexe. Je ne sais pas si vous seriez en mesure de m'aider.

Cher auteur, c'est vraiment un bon poste mais avez-vous un peu plus d'informations sur les sujets que vous avez soulevés?

¿Qué pasa? Mi nombre es Jason, 29, vivo en Schopp, Alemania por el momento, hasta que me mude a casa a Denver, Colorado en agosto del próximo year.I Actualmente estoy persiguiendo mi Licenciatura en Ciencias en Redes de Computadoras y Seguridad. Me uno a esta página web con el fin de hacer aún más en una parte cotidiana de mi vida. Me gustaría aprender y crecer con vosotros como un profesional de redes futuras.

Non voglio giudicare voi, ma io penso che è necessario fare un po 'di più la ricerca in materia

Salut, je suis un lurker autour de votre blog pendant quelques mois. J'adore cet article et l'ensemble de votre site! Hâte de lire plus!

Hey, mein Name ist Dale. Ich bin ein begeisterter Gamer mit einem Interesse für Computer. Vielen Dank für die Einladung. Ha weiß nicht, was anderes zu sagen, wenn Sie wissen wollen, fragen Sie einfach mich mehr.