« Max and his Maxims | Main | DFW review »

Kafka and Wallace

This is an aside. I'm putting it here rather than wasting class time, at the risk of only having an online conversation with myself on different days. The corporateness of Mr. Squishy made me think of Kafka, particularly what Camus says about him.

"A symbol, indeed, assumes two planes, two worlds of sensations...In Kafka these two worlds are that of everyday life on the one hand, and, on the other, that of supernatural anxiety."

More...

"..if Kafka wants to express the absurd, he will make use of consistency. You know the story of the crazy man who was fishing in a bathtub. A doctor with ideas as to psychiatric treatments asked him 'if they were biting', to which he received the harsh reply: 'Of course not, you fool, since this is a bathtub.' That story belongs to the baroque type. But in it can be grasped quite clearly to what a degree the absurd effect is linked to an excess of logic. Kafka's world is in truth an indescribable universe in which man allows himself the tormenting luxury of fishing in a bathtub, knowing that nothing can come of it."

It is this excess of logic that seems to operate in the first story of oblivion, except the universe of Wallace is describable.