« A word about podcasts... | Main | I am not That Blogger.... »

Catching up on Home Work...

There comes a time in every blogger's life where they ramble on and on and on and on about how they haven't been posting, but really really want to post more. The post almost always catches the reader up on everything that has happened since the last post, and promises to post more often in the future.

For me, that time is now.

So, I've following the Extension 2.0 blog every week, like a good student would. However, I've been really bad about posting my homework to my course blog. I'm really really sorry about that. I know that all of you (and by all of you, I mean Amy) check this blog regularly to see what is going on. You've seen nothing, but that doesn't mean that nothing has been happening.

You see, I've been reading wikis, and trying to use the ExtensionWeb wiki more. That's the place where the ExtensionWeb team stores all sorts of documentation and also the latest greatest design ideas from Tom. One day, it will even have standards, and templates, and things useful for people outside our group. But, for now, it works for us, and thats pretty good.

I've also been busy with productivity tools. Mostly NetFiles and UMCal, because I'm a good little employee and I use the tools that the University endorses. I'm curious about Google's tools, but frankly, Google scares me. They have a pretty, happy face, but they're on a road that makes them even more scary than Bill Gates when he isn't hanging out with Seinfeld.

Then there's social networking... in the technology world, networking is everything. Rarely do we tackle a problem that nobody has tackled before. Often, we need to find others who have been in similar circumstances, or who have evaluated similar products. When I left my last job to join Extension, I created a LinkedIn profile to keep track of the people who I'd worked with over the previous ten years, and to keep track of people going forward. You never know when you'll need someone (or someone they know) again!

Tune in next week, for the next installment.

Hopefully...