« Hughes draft | Main | Equity Revisited...McGrath »

Technology Learning Principles...Hughes

There are 4 Learning Principles suggested in this article:
1. Connecting Technology Learning to Professional Knowledge
2. Privileging Subject Matter and Pedagogical Content Connections.
3. Using Technology Learning to Challenge Professional Knowledge
4. Teaching Many Technologies.

I think all 4 tend to overlap.

The first principle, "Connecting Technology Learning to Professional Knowledge" would probably be done automatically. Anytime I learn something new, I want to know how this will apply to me, this includes learning new technologies. My automatic reaction is "How will this help me be a better teacher?" If I don't see a purpose in learning, then I am probably not going to learn how to use it in the first place.

The second principle, "Privileging Subject Matter and Pedagogical Content Connections" shows a good example of why teachers should work together. If departments work together on their "projects" they will be combining the best of all of their ideas. I see the problem more so as we are dividing up the chapters and each person in the group will take two chapters, rather than using the group work to come up with the best "technology-pedagogy" connection.

The third principle, "Using Technology Learning to Challenge Current Professional Knowledge" is closely related to the first principle. I see this principle as teaching the technology and hoping this will help the teacher to come up with their own idea of how to use it in the classroom. I also believe that learning to use technology, even if it is for personal use, will help a teacher to become a better technology integrationist. Once you have the background in how tools/toolbars work, that transfer of knowledge to other programs saves so much time. You are also exposing yourself to various options that may transfer between programs too. (For example, if you learn to use Photoshop Elements, you are then able to transfer the knowledge of toolbars, layering, filtering, pixels, etc to other programs where you may work with the same concepts even if you aren't working specifically with pictures. You may be using clipart and another "flipchart" program for animation.

The fourth principle, "Teaching Many Technologies" requires the teacher to be a learner for "many technologies". Oftentimes the problem is convincing the teacher to spend the time to learn the technologies in order to make educated decisions about their technology integration. I find this extremely frustrating, probably because I am willing to spend some time to learn/investigate software/technologies just to see what some of the benefits to it are. so that I would know whether I could use it in my classroom.