Seeking Clues from our Younger Years

Wednesday, November 22 there is no CLA 1001 class. Most likely, you will all be preparing to spend some extra time over the long Thanksgiving weekend with family and friends. As you reconnect with the people who know you best, take time to reflect on what you were like as a youngster. What do your friends and family say about you as a kid that gives you insight into what you're like now?

Read on for more information on the assignment due by December 6.

The main theme in CLA 1001 is reflecting on who we are now, so we can make plans to become who we want to be in the future. We've talked about activities, values, courses to take next semester and next year, and connecting with faculty members who can help. Here's a chance to take what you've learned in your first semester at the University and see how it connects with your personal past. Take a copy of the attached list of questions home with you at Thanksgiving and talk about them with a close friend or family member. After that, write a reflection (about 500 words, two pages, double spaced).

In your mid-term evaluations, some of you commented that the question of "Why?" keeps coming up and that it's a difficult one to answer. I definitely agree. Sometimes the answer to "Why?" doesn't become clear for a long time. Here's a chance to look back and see if you have a few answers . . . or maybe a few more questions. It's OK if some of the things you think about seem silly. Sometimes the most interesting ideas begin with silliness or just fun stuff. It's also OK if you don't have all the answers. If you have a few new questions (or old questions that you can now actually talk about), that's great!

Jen will have paper copies of this at her office hour tomorrow (Friday). I'll bring some to my office hour on Wednesday (11 a.m. to noon). You can also come to B-18 Johnston to pick up a copy. Just be sure to mention you're a CLA 1001 student looking for the Thanksgiving assignment.

I hope you'll have fun with this and that it will be a chance to look back on how you've changed . . . and not changed . . . over the last however many years.

Here are the questions:

Questions to ask family members who knew you best while you were growing up:

1. What did I like and dislike?
2. What were my gifts or talents as an infant, young child, teenager, and young adult? What did I have a knack for?
3. How did I spend my time?
4. What was my personality like? What traits did I exhibit?
5. What was I interested in?
6. What games did I play?
7. What did I want to be when I grew up?

Reflection Questions:

1. What is your reaction to this information?
2. What similarities do you see in yourself today?
3. What differences do you see in yourself today?
4. How were you encouraged or discouraged from doing or being any of the things listed above?
5. Were there any experiences, situations, or events that affected any of these things? How did they affect you?
6. What clues can you find about yourself as a child, teenager, or young adult?
7. What do you think is hidden in these clues?

Posted by swans155 at November 9, 2006 8:58 AM