Check Your Progress

We have about two weeks left of fall semester classes, followed by finals week. Here are the CLA 1001 assignments needed by December 6:

* Attend a checkback appointment with your CLA adviser
* Drop in for the second office hour visit with your CLA 1001 instructors
* Attend your second campus event and write about your experience
* Submit reflection on the "Seeking Clues from Our Younger Years" assignment
* Submit major exploration
* Submit faculty interview write-up
* Attend part 2 of Unraveling the Libraries

The middle of t he semester is coming soon (yep, already). This is a good time to check on things you've done and should have done. There's still time to stay on track in CLA 1001 and your other classes. Use the "Track Your Progress" grid (syllabus, page 9) to make notes on where you stand. Assignments done and coming up are all great topics for conversation when you come to visit your instructors during office hours. We love to chat about this stuff!

Here's what you should have done for CLA 1001 by October 25
* Response to Dean Rosenstone's talk and the article on liberal education
* Attend and write a brief report on one campus event
* Visit Alex, Jen or Christine during office hours
* Set up an appointment with your CLA adviser
* Unraveling the Libraries, Session I
* Faculty interview assignment - Who? Why? What topics?

Posted by swans155 at 04:31 PM | Comments (0)

Jen's Gone for a While!

Hi Everyone!
I hope you didn't forget that starting this week I'm off for 2.5 weeks. I'll be back for class on the 6th. If you have not yet gotten to see me in my office hour or you still need to have your second office hour visit after I return, I will resume my normal Monday 2:30-3:30 and Friday 3:30-4:30 office hour times. If those don't work for you, please email me or catch me in class on the 6th to arrange a different time to chat.

See you in a couple of weeks! Happy Thanksgiving!!! (Don't forget about your assignment over break...)

: )
Jen

Posted by rude0044 at 04:14 PM | Comments (0)

Jen's Office Hours

Hi Everyone!
My apologies to those of you who were hoping to attend my office hour today, October 30th. I am home sick and will be unable to make it. I will, however, hold a MAKE UP office hour on Friday the 3rd from 2:30-4:00 (an extended office hour this time).

ALSO

Remember how I mentioned in class that I wouldn't be availble for some of my office hours in the future? November 20 & 27 and December 4th I will not be on campus. PLAN AHEAD! I am MORE than willing to make special arrangements with you so you can see me (we can either meet at Caribou at a different time or we can meet in my office in B-18 Johnston Hall), but you need to contact me so that can happen. Let me know when you'd like to come in so you're sure to get your second office hour visit in!

See you Wednesday (I hope!!!).

Posted by rude0044 at 10:39 AM | Comments (0)

Faculty Interview

Thanks, everyone, for the e-mail messages about your choice of faculty member to interview. Here are some ideas on information you can gather before the interview. It might help you prepare questions that are a little bit specific.

What is the faculty member's rank? You can find title and contact information by going to OneStop http://onestop.umn.edu/ and entering the faculty member's name into "Search U of M People." It's good to know if the person you'll be interviewing is a graduate student, new professor or a senior professor. We'll talk about this in class.

What do you already know about the faculty member? What can you find out? Think about what you already know. Is there anything you want to ask about in the interview? Try to find out more. For example, you may find a personal web site listed when you search for your faculty member on OneStop. You can also go to the web site for the department where your faculty member teaches. There's usually a faculty directory, including teaching and research interests.

Prepare several questions in advance. Now that you know a bit about your faculty member, what do you want to talk about in the interview? If you chose your faculty member because she or he is a very good teacher, you might want to ask what experience led to that teaching skill. If you're interested in the faculty member's research, ask about it. You can find out what other courses the faculty member teaches. Maybe you want to know more about those.

I hope these suggestions help. Jen and I are looking forward to reading your interview reports. From what you've told us so far, it sounds like you'll have some great conversations. Continue reading of you'd like more information on faculty titles.

Teaching assistant - The person in charge of your science lab or the discussion section of many courses is probably a graduate student. In addition to teaching a section or two, your TA is taking one or two courses and writing a master's thesis or Ph.D. dissertation. They're busy people! They teach partly to earn some money and partly to gain teaching experience that will help them when they become professors.

Teaching specialist, lecturer, instructor - People with these titles probably have master's degrees. Some have Ph.D.s. They are hired only to teach.

Assistant professor - Someone with this title has completed a Ph.D. and is beginning an academic career. In addition to teaching, they are required to do research. The goal is to publish books and articles offering new information to the community of scholars in that field. An assistant professor has several years to demonstrate that they are not only competent teachers, but also excellent scholars. They're under a lot of pressure to earn a reputation that will lead to promotion and job security.

Associate professor - This person has earned a promotion and a permanent position on the faculty. She or he has published several articles and maybe a book or two in an area of scholarship. This person is an expert! It should be possible to find out about articles, books, conference presentations, etc. she or he has done. An assoicate professor may also have administrative duties in the department as director of undergraduate study or other leadership position.

Professor - A full professor has earned a solid reputation as a scholar and teacher. She or he has published lots of articles and probably several books. If you plan to talk to a full professor, try to find out about publications and other projects before you go to the interview. A full professor almost certainly has a record of service to the University community. If you can, find out what that service is.

Posted by swans155 at 08:10 AM | Comments (0)

Assignments & Due Dates

Here's a quick list of assignments and due dates. We'll talk about all of these in class. Use this list to mark your planner! Click on "Continue Reading" for all the details.

Next assignment is due September 15.

The following assignments must be completed by the dates indicated:
* Read and respond to liberal arts article. Submit to instructor by Friday, September 15.
* Faculty interview e-mail. Send to instructor by Wednesday, October 11.
* Faculty interview paper. Submit to instructor by Friday, November 29.
* Schedule checkback appointment with your CLA student community adviser anytime after class on Wednesday, October 11.

The following assignments must be completed by Wednesday, October 25:
* One of the two required office hour visits with your CLA 1001 instructor or teaching assistant.
* Faculty interview assignment, phase 1.
* Attend one campus event (e.g., program, workshop, etc.) and write about your experience in a 500-word journal.
* Unraveling the Libraries, Unravel I, Orientation to the Libraries and Tour of Wilson Library.

The following assignments must be completed by Wednesday, December 6:

* Attend the checkback appointment with your CLA adviser.
* Second of the two required office hour visits with your CLA 1001 instructor or teaching assistant.
* Explore two different majors or a major and minor using two different methods. Write about what you learned in a 500-word journal.
* Seeking Clues from our Younger Years" assignment. Talk with your family about what you were like as a small child. What were you interested in? What did you like to do? What did you want to be when you grew up?
* Unraveling the Libraries Sessions, Unravel 2, the Research Process, Finding Books and Articles.

Posted by swans155 at 03:36 PM | Comments (0)
The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Minnesota.