Wrap up

I thought overall this was a great experience! I learned so much in so many different areas. I think the thing that I liked best was that things were made simple so that they were very easy to understand even at a beginner level. I think there are several ways that it could affect my work life. Our region talked about using jabber to make quick contacts and just being aware of the technology that youth are using is a big plus!

When I started I thought that I would know more than I did. I was surprised to learn about the variety of sites that I was unaware of!

Thanks again for offering the class and while I can't think of topics to cover in the future if there were more opportunities like this you can count me in.

Web conference

Wow, that was pretty easy to set up. I really thought it would be more challenging to set up a umconnect web conference. The process walks you right through the process. It took a little time to get used to changing the look of the room and all of the different functions. I think it could be pretty easy to host a meeting!

communicating

Wow, this might take some getting practice. Twitter looks like a lot of noise. I suppose once becoming proficient it would be much easier to manage and sort through. The article on academic uses of twitter was very helpful and cleared up some of the questions I had on the technology.

Social Networking

Prior to starting in extension I worked in an admissions office as an admissions counselor. It was during this time that I learned about some of the social networking sites. Our office worked together to create a myspace page for out college a few years ago. I also have a facebook account. Through facebook I was able to interact with students. I think in youth development creating a group for youth to join and interact gives another outlet for communications. While not everyone has a facebook or myspace profile it is another point of contact to reach youth. It might also be a great way to connect alumni of the program. With Facebook being popular among college students it is another way to keep that age set involved or informed of what is happening in the program.

Productivity Tools

So many great websites and so many that I had never even heard of! So I sometimes get frustrated if I need to open a document but it is saved on the hard drive of a different computer. Google Docs seems like a great solution. Plus, it seems like a great place to put documents that I would want to share.

I also checked out picnik which seems to have one of the easiest photo editing tools that I have seen. So many times I am trying to hunt down a particular function.

Zamzar looks like another great site. It should be so easy not to convert file formats.

Images and Video

Flickr was a site that I was not familiar with but what a wealth of information on the site. It was nice to be able to do a variety of searches and check out the results.

Wikis

Wikis are something that I at least have a slight familiarity with especially compared to the other topics that we have looked at during Extension 2.0. Ironically, in a graduate class I am currently taking we will be looking at wikipedia next week and adding to it on environmental education. It was nice to have this session prior to that.

Podcasts

Like everyone I had heard about downloading podcasts at the end of numerous radio shows. Of course, this was the first time that I had actually attempted to download a podcast. What a great resource. I can see why education is jumping into podcasting.

RSS Feeds

This one seems a little more challenging to get than some of the other topics.

My First Blog

This has been very interesting so far. I have not created a blog before but thought that I knew a little about the technology.