Wrap Up

My favorite lessons were on communication and productivity tools. I feel that these were my favorite because of the uses I have for the presented information. I have already started using the information to work more efficiently. Since I have to use a county email account, I have a very limited ability of what I can send and receive through email (document size wise). The tools are providing new ways for me to complete my work in an efficient way by posting documents on netfiles, google docs, etc. I have also really enjoyed that it was self paced and that there were opportunities to learn more about some of the topics.

I was most surprised by how much I didn't know! I have gained so much new knowledge and I'm excited to use it. I would definitely participate in an enrichment course like this one.

Web Conferencing

UMConnect was easy to use and has a lot of great features! It took only a few mintues to start a meeting. I can see this being a great resource for working or sharing a document with a co-worker that is at an other office.

Communicating in 2.0

I set-up my jabber account, but it seemed strange that I had to call someone to get them to set up their jabber account just we could IM. I can see how this can be very useful, but I couldn't figure out how you would be notified that some one is logged in unless you were logged in (maybe there isn't a way). Do I need to email or call someone to tell them to log into jabber? That doesn't seem effective?

Working in an organization that is so spread out, I can see that this can be very valuable. It can really save on phone calls and emails if we were in the habit of being logged into jabber.

Social Networking

The article on social networking was interesting; however, I would like to question the sample used. In their research they studied youth from an urban area. I would guess that the findings would be different for rural youth and low-income rural youth.

I have read other studies about the positive outcomes of youth using social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace. Youth do gain valuable skills by using these types of sites.

It is important that we are able to incorporate the use of social networking in our work when necessary.

Productivity Tools

Has google taken over the Earth yet? Google Docs can provide a group of users the ability to work on the same document, without the hassle of waiting for one person to update and then emailing it to the next. It also allows users to work on the document from anywhere (as long as they have internet access). I find this tool and netfiles both very useful! Due to county IT issues I can't always receive or send large emails. Netfiles has made receiving and sending documents to University employees more managable. Now knowing about google docs I will be able to share documents with parents, volunteers, county works, etc. (with netfiles I was really limited to University employees and at times it can be slow and it can take a day for it to process the addition of someone that you want to be able to share files with.) Netfiles can also be challenging if you don't remember to bookmark a link that someone has sent you to access files that they have uploaded on their netfiles account.

Remember the milk can also through your google calendar, why use anything other then google?

Wiki

I found lots of interesting staff as I looked around at Wiki's. I first found the information on the "Responding to Disasters Wiki" easy to find and useful, but then I was let down when I went to the Extension's E-Learning Wiki and eXtension Wiki.

One interesting thing about sites is that they have the ability to close off or make some information private. Sites also have an ability to put a hold on an site, so that no new information can be added for awhile. I found this in the case of searching for Sarah Palin on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_palin

Podcasts

I have hit a road block this week. There are limits with the access that the county IT has provided. I was able to search for podcasts and add them to my feeds on bloglines, but I couldn't actually listen to any. I'm going to work with the county IT to see if they can install a program onto my computer for this (I can't install anything on my computer, they have to come down and do that for me).

Flickr

I found many interesting things on Flickr. Some of the items that I searched were my name and the town I live in. It was interesting to see some locations (parks, fountains, cafes, etc.) that have my name. It was also interesting to see some of the places I pass by everyday in pictures that really brought out the beauty in them.

Flickr and other similiar sites are great for storing photos without the worry of losing them if your computer crashes. It's also a great way to share an important moment with friends and family.

I can also see how this site can get people excited about photography and allow others to get new ideas. It's also a great way to learn new techniques.

RSS Aggregator

I didn't know anything about RSS Aggregators before today. I guess I never noticed the RSS symbol before! I created account with Bloglines and did a quick pick feed of food. I also tried to go to Craigslist and create a feed link to wedding items. I see how easy it is to set up feeds for things that I am interested in. For example it would be great to set up a feed to look for wedding centerpieces on craigslist. Instead of having to check it all the time, the feed can keep me updated. I can also set up a more detailed feed so I can receive just the imformation that is important to me.

First Post

This is my first posting on a blog! I hope to learn a lot more cool technology tools.