Leadership 4

Previous definitions of leadership

1. In my opinion, leadership is a collection of essential personal skills that are to be learned in an ongoing basis. Leadership helps an individual to accomplish specific goals efficiently. Leadership could also be inspirational and philosophical.
            1. Goleman's reading has improved my previous view of leadership. It helps me to define my "essential personal skills" to become more specific. With that being said, I think leadership is versatility. ...my new perspective will hopefully guide me to be able to respond to a situation appropriately
      1. This week, I have a new perspective on leadership after I went over self evaluation as provided by Lee and King (2001) and Terry (2001). I think leadership is choices of actions made consciously and unconsciously from one's personal values and beliefs.
This week's definition: Leadership is a collection of essential personal skills that are to be learned in an ongoing basis; versatility is one of them. Leadership helps an individual to accomplish specific goals efficiently. Leadership can also be choices of actions made consciously and unconsciously from one's personal values and beliefs, which can affect other people in many ways.

Analysis of the differences in the definitions: From Terry (2001), I was thought-provoked if I think leadership is ethical or both ethical and unethical and my answer was the latter. I think leadership can be divided into two general kinds; 1) good leadership and 2) bad leadership. Both kinds affect people in various ways and clearly not being ethical affect other people in a harmful way as suggested by Paul and Elder (2006). Leader can believe and practice dictatorship but if in any way it harms the people governed by the idea, it is a bad leadership.

Lee, R. J., & King, S. N. (2001). "Ground your leadership vision in a personal vision." Discovering the Leader in You: A guide to realizing your personal leadership potential (pp. 31 - 54). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, Inc.
Paul, R., & Elder, L. (2006). "The Function of Ethics -- and Its Main Impediement." Understanding the Foundations of Ethical Reasoning (pp. 4 - 36). Dillon Beach, CA: Foundation for Critical Thinking.
Terry, R. (2001). "Deciding what you believe." Seven zones for leadership: Acting authentically in stability and chaos (pp. 20 - 40). Mountain View, CA: Davies-Black Publishing, Inc.

Grade: 9 out of 10 possible
Clarity of the new definition: 2 points of 2 possible
Thoughtfulness of the analysis: 6 points of 6 possible
Grammar, spelling, and APA style: 1 points of 2 possible