Leadership 6

Previous definitions of leadership:
Leadership is a collection of essential personal skills that are to be learned in an ongoing basis; versatility is one of them.
Leadership helps an individual to accomplish specific goals efficiently.
Leadership can also be choices of actions made consciously and unconsciously from one's personal values and beliefs, which can affect other people in many ways.

This week's definition:

Leadership helps a team to accomplish specific goals efficiently through the collaboration between individuals.

Analysis of the differences in the definitions:

Previously, my definition of leadership was to enable an individual to accomplish a goal effectively. However, after careful thought, I redefined my definition of leadership with focus on team rather than individual. I think interdependency between people is unavoidable as an individual will have a lot of limitations in which can be balanced with the support from other individual. I agree with Astin and Astin (1996) that, "leadership involves collaborative relationships that lead to collective action grounded in the shared values of people who work together to effect positive change". Another statement that I agree upon and does support my new definition is found in Heifetz, Grashow, and Linsky (2009), which says "Individual executives just don't have the personal capacity to sense and make sense of all the change swirling around them. They need to distribute leadership responsibility, replacing hierarchy and formal authority with organizational bandwidth, which draws on collective intelligence."

References:

Astin, H. S., & Astin, A. W. (1996). A social change model of leadership development: Guidebook (version III) (pp. 4 - 27). Los Angeles: University of California Los Angeles Higher Education Research Institute.

Heifetz, R., Grashow, A., & Linsky, M. (2009). "Leadership in a (permanent) crisis." Harvard Business Review, 87(7), 62-69. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=keh&AN=41997981&site=ehost-live

Grade: 10 out of 10 possible
Clarity of the new definition: 1 point of 2 possible
Thoughtfulness of the analysis: 4 points of 6 possible
Grammar, spelling, and APA style: 2 points of 2 possible