Lakeville dad guilty of child neglect

A Dakota County jury found Lakeville dad Steven Cross guilty of child neglect Wednesday. As reported in the Star Tribune, Cross, who abandoned his 11-year-old son Sebastian in July, will likely be sentenced to two years of probation.

The jury only required 30 minutes to announce its verdict, at which point Cross began sobbing.

"I was only thinking about my son," he said. "This is awful. I wouldn't wish this on anybody."

The Pioneer Press reported that Cross was unable to find work as an architect and was near evicting from his foreclosed home. He left Sebastian a note before driving to Cambria, Calif., in search of family. He was arrested on Aug. 28 while living in a van and working in a deli.

Sebastian found two letters, one addressed to him and another to the parents of his best friend, Joanne and John Pahl., asking them to take care of his son until Aug. 31. Cross said in an additional letter that he would sell all his possessions to the family for $1.

Cross has a scheduled sentence hearing on March 20.