Ten candidates who had applied to run in the Egyptian presidential election have lost their appeals against disqualification, officials say.
A judicial panel found no new evidence was offered by the hopefuls, including ex-spy chief Omar Suleiman and Muslim Brotherhood leader Khairat al-Shaer, BBC said.
A conservative Salafist, Hazem Abu Ismail, also lost his appeal. The three were considered front runners.
The outcome was largely expected after the candidates appealed the commission's Saturday ruling, the Los Angeles Times said.
The failed appeal has added to a chaotic presidential race and led to fear that Islamists may ignite street protests to upset the nation's transition to democracy after last year's toppling of President Hosni Mubarak.
The decision reshapes the election, BBC said.
Ismail and hundreds of his backers held a sit-in Tuesday night outside the election commission's headquarters, chanting "God is great." Clerics called for calm while scuffles occurred with police, the Times said.
A final list of candidates will be published on 26 April, when the election campaign officially begins.
The ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, which assumed presidential powers after Hosni Mubarak was forced to step down by an uprising last year, is due to hand over to the new president on July 1, BBC said.