BBC sex scandal expands as 300 potential abuse victims emerge

| No Comments

The sex abuse scandal involving the BBC expanded on Thursday when authorities announced that 300 potential victims had accused BBC's well-known television host Jimmy Savile, USA Today said.

Jimmy Savile, who died last year at 84, is "undoubtedly" one of the most prolific sex offenders in recent British history, Scotland Yard officer Peter Spindler told the NY Times.

The number of potential victims increased from 200 to 300 in the past week, the NY Times said. Out of the 130 interviews that the police have conducted with the potential victims, 114 have accuse Savile of sexual harassment ranging from inappropriate touching to rape, the NY Times said.

"It is quite staggering, the number of women," Spinder said to USA Today.

While Savile was known for his charity work at hospitals and homes for children, Savile is accused of using this charity work as a way to target troubled youths who could not report the sexual harassment with credibility, the USA Today said.

Savile had been investigated but never prosecuted for sexual abuse at least half a dozen times, the BBC reported on Wednesday, the NY Times said.

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by takik001 published on October 25, 2012 11:32 PM.

Security flaws in boarding pass barcodes was the previous entry in this blog.

Minnesota plans $134 million in new grants for affordable housing is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.