MDG 6

Another presentation given to our discussion class was the Millennium Development Goal 6: Combat HIV/AIDS, Malaria, and Other Diseases.

This development goal was to stop and prevent the spread of HIV by 2015. This group focused on the region of Zambia and Zimbabwe in South Africa because Africa is known to having the highest population of HIV and AIDS.

I really enjoyed the animated graph they had of different region in the world showing the amount of population that have HIV/AIDS. When it came to Africa, it was an all-time high than any other, at least twice as high.

Africa is undereducated about health, and need to be educated about it in order to prevent it from spreading.

Malaria comes from mosquito, carrying the viruses, when being bitten by them. Ouch! It takes about seven to twenty-one days for the viruses to develop. About two million people did each year from it. It is the second leading death.

One design to help protect people from malaria is a product known as Nothing But Net. The company that made them distributed over to 1.9 million people.

MDG Goal 1

In our class discussion, we had a group that presented on the Millennium Development Goal 1: Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger.

Their case study was focus on Ethiopia because majority of the population were below the poverty line, making less than a dollar a day!

The realm of response was organization. One organization was Selam Environmental Development Association, also known as SEDA. In Ethiopia, less than three percent of their irrigable land is irrigated. SEDA help boost crop yields, number of harvests, livestocks, and milk production. They also educate the people to empower to their full potential.

It was scary and sad to see a picture of their cow that is skinny and you can see the bones of it. With the help from SEDA, the livestocks are better taken care of and able to produce more livestock.

When the connect their Millennium Development Goal to the design environment, a design was made called Design for the Other 90%. It included a life straw which let people drink the dirty water, but the life straw filter about ninety percent of the bacterias in it. Another one is the block press. It helped people make buildings by using mud to make a lot of blocks in a day, which some sell to others for profit. Also, a Q-Drum was invented. It is a barrel that can be roll on it's side and pulled by the rope. It's purpose is to hold waters instead of having mothers take time in their day to go down to the river to collect water and carrying it back to their homes. The short-term effect on hunger has improved. The only bad thing about these new design is that many people cannot afford to buy them because they are living on a dollar a day.

Promote Women Power Titles

For The United Nations Millennium Development Goals, mine was to Promote Gender Equality and Empower Women.
Below, is a powerpoint of 3 designed title pages for the research project.

Download file

Download file

Download file

Download file

The project is about the differences in equality and women's rights by comparing Minnesota to Pakistan.

Support Women Power

cartoon woman.jpg

cartoon woman 2.jpg

One presentation/documentation styles that my term project, Educate and Promote Women Power, may take as an inspiration is through strikes, protest, and services to the society.

Many of us are well aware of Rosa Park and her ambition to not give up her seat in the back of the bus because she was a Black woman. From her refusal to surrender her seat on the bus, it triggered a protest to boycott the buses. Her quiet, courageous act changed America’s views of Black, and woman.

rosa parks.jpg

Women Power does not have to be focused on one particular person. One particular time was during the World War II. As many men were deported off into the military, there were no men left to work. Women soon took over the jobs that were usually done by men. A famous icon of the United States is Rosie the Riveter, the woman on the poster of “We Can Do It!?; represent over six million women working in factory plants to produce ammunitions and materials needed for the war. The poster was used by the government to encourage women to support the war.

we can do it rosie.jpg

real rosie woman factory.jpg

Another women power today is in the politics. We all know that the Democrat race is close between Obama and Clinton. Hillary Clinton has a good chance to become the first female president and have the power of the United States. Personally, I do not want her as president; I am not going to vote for her just because I am a woman also. Also, we have the Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, who is the first woman in the State Department. She is one of the many emerging women leaders.

senatorclinton.jpg

Condoleezza_Rice.jpg

Not all women power is recognized in well-known leaders. It could be any of us college, woman students. We shows pride through our organizations, activities, and volunteering. Women and men today can be very competitive. Like in the Gatorade commercial, “I can do anything better than you.? Women have the power to do as well as men can in any field, or even better, especially in constructions and technical sciences. Now a day, more women are in these fields and architecture. One organization I am in that helps support others and myself, is a professional sorority Alpha Sigma Kappa – Women in Technical Sciences. We create a sisterhood of women that wants to emerge in a field of architecture, technical sciences, and engineering.

ASK.jpg

cartoon woman 3.jpg

Source:
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~ask/whyask/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_the_Riveter
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/biog/41252.htm
http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/w/women_s_rights.asp

Inspiring European Architects

There are many, great architectures around the world. For me, I love the Renaissance time period of Europe. Someday, I want to go to Europe, anywhere, such as Italy, Rome, Spain, France, etc, and see all the amazing architectures there that were built many years ago. I am not sure why architectures in Europe fascinate me so. Maybe, it got to do with a lot of famous, inspiring artists and philosophers.

One of the architectures is the Pantheon in Rome, Italy. The Pantheon is known for its temple, which was built for the Greek goddess Athena. The building is important because it is one of the surviving architecture of Greece. The temple was debated whether it was a sanctuary or alter, but later it was converted into a Christian Church. The building has a framework of space in between the columns, which appears to be more welcoming. The phenomena of the Pantheon was built and to worship Athena. With the opposition of time and timelessness, it is about as old as the Notre Dame in Paris, the Pantheon still stands today after the destruction. As of today, the government is trying to maintain the old architecture as fix it back to what it used to be.

parthenon.jpg

Another European architecture is the Notre Dame de Paris in Paris, France. It is an architectural of a Gothic Cathedral. This architecture looks extremely beautiful from its natural look that includes statues, stained glass windows, and flying buttresses. When looking at the building, the designs look complicated, but looking afar, it is beautiful to admire at. After the French Revolution, there was a major restoration and maintain to restore the cathedral back to its previous state.

Notre Dame de Paris.jpg

Another European architecture is in Granada, Spain. It is called Alhambra. It is a palace and a fortress to the Moorish monarchs when it was constructed. As of today, it is a museum displaying the exquisite architecture of the Islamic. The palace was made out of red clay, as can be seen today in a reddish color, the word Alhambra in Arabic literally means red. Like the Parthenon, Alhambra has the framework of many columns and high ceilings that gives the architecture a lot of space and volume. Alhambra has a resemblance of a Romantic architecture. Looking inside would be much amazements. There are detailed engravings on the ceiling, and much of the interior is decorated with elegant calligraphies in Arabic.

Alhambra.jpg

alhambra court of lions.jpg

alhambra inside of dome.jpg
I enjoy studying, learning, and seeing much different kind of architectures that were created in Europe. There are different styles from different time period that were unique and exquisite. Today’s architecture in the United States were once like the ones in European architecture, but incorporate more modern styles. For example, the Lincoln Memorial in Washington District of Colombia has the similar architectural design as the Parthenon and the Romans and Greeks of a box like building with columns. Studying and looking at these architectural buildings are simply amazing, but to actually see it for myself with my own eyes will be the best experience I will have in my life.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_de_Paris
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhambra

An Environment Designed Out of LEGOs

If I were completely released from the constraints of the architecture school program, it would be really hard to come up artistically for architecture that would still have an impact on our environment. Without the constraints, it takes a lot of creative thinking and new ideas to come up with a design that is “architecturally and artistically.? Constraints really help out to have the focus mainly on what is require and needed, not new creative ideas.
As little children, whether we were boys or girls, we played with LEGOs to build and construct many things. It could have been certain types of buildings that we built ranging from corporate buildings to houses. Why not built an environment out of LEGOs? It could be possible, you think?
Just imagine a new place that is covered in LEGOs, the vehicles are made out of LEGOs, the buildings, and the environments. LEGOs are great to build one’s imagination. There are many possibilities that one person can create and design a whole new architectures.
Here is one possible design that it can be designed without the constraints. It also has the values of space. It gives the illusion to see and think new ideas. Looking at the picture at any given angle, it looks like part of an architect with the same element as any normal building seen around. When creating architects out of LEGOs, it gives one’s the ability of moral sense, ability to observe what is created, and the sense of beauty to admire.

escher lego.jpg

Another design is the cityscape constructed out of LEGOs. It has all the elements of a physical phenomena; things, frameworks, clockworks, and phenomena. In a city, many of the architects can be similar that consists of a tall, rectangular building since a thick, sturdy foundation against the nature. Using LEGOs, it helps to construct new ideas and see what worked out and what did not. It helps to create new originality than a typical structure, which majority people will do when designing due to constraints.
Today, not too many people stop in the cities to look at the architectures, but just keep on walking by. If a person were to see an architect made from LEGOs, hopefully they will appreciate it more.

Lego24.JPG

Inspirational through Media

For my Research Project Millennium Development Goals, I chose achieve universal primary education.

Education is very important in our society and the architecture can make a big difference to influence many children.

Some quotes that influence my values are:

Arthur Koestler: “Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.?

Marian Wright Edelman: “Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it.?

Pablo Picasso: “All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.?

“True education is concerned not only with practical goals but also with values. Our aims assure of us of our material life, our values make possible our spiritual life.? Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

“Let us guide our students over the road of discipline from materials, through function, to creative work. Let us lead them into the healthy world of primitive building methods, where there was meaning in every stroke of an axe, expression in every bite of chisel.? Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

“Each material has its specific characteristics in which we must understand it if we want to use it. In other words, no design is possible until the materials with which you design are completely understood.? Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

The reason I chose these quotes because they are very inspiring that relates to education and learning. Through hard works and success, it brings out many success and creative works.

There are many great songs out in the world today, but one song that I liked because it is very inspirational. The song I chose is God Bless America by Lee Greenwood. When children are adolescent and attend school, they are taught the Pledge of Allegiance. He talked about the Lakes of Minnesota, hills of Tennessee, plains of Texas, and etcetera, and these are the environments that are in America. As the children learn as they grow, they figured out who they are, as American, and put their knowledge of values into their works of designs. Another song is called Peace like a River by Chris Rice. I relate it that designs can be very peaceful for many people when watching and listening to the river. A river is never a straight line that is perfect, it is made up different patterns and curves that always changes along the way from the start to the end.

yukon river.jpg

Bridge Tragedy in the Twin Cities

One social design issue here in the Twin Cities is the 35W Bridge. As we know from across the nation, the collapse of the architectural Bridge devastated many individuals and families.
On August 1st, 2007, just after 6:00pm, the bridge collapsed during rush hour. It killed four people, injured more than seventy-nine people and twenty were missing after dozens of vehicles fell into the Mississippi River.
Over the summer, I was in a program called Bridge to Academic for Excellence from June 17th to July 28th, 2007. The program is summer classes for incoming freshmen to get a head start in college and get to know how college life is like. But this is not the part; let’s get back to the topic.
Friends and families of mine knew I was in the program and knew that I stayed in Minneapolis in Centennial dorm. Not many knew that I went home on the 28th and once they found out about the collapse of the bridge, I was swamp with many phone calls asking if I was alright and if I had heard about the tragedy.
Today it is a social design issue because with the bridge all torn up; the major road accesses for many drivers are inaccessible and have to take detours. The government and bridge contractors are trying to figure out how to rebuild a new bridge with a better design so the collapse of the bridge will not happen again. The bridge shows that the bridge was design incorrectly in the first place and today, many bridge contractors need to figure out how to construct bridges that will be safe and convenient for many drivers in the Twin Cities.
According to CNN, construction took place on the bridge Tuesday night and was to take place again Wednesday night, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The highway would have been restricted to a single lane in both directions from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. both nights. The bridge was undergoing re-decking work, but nothing structural was being done, U.S. Transportation Department spokesman Brian Turmail said.
With the new construction taking place right now, it take time and much money to re-construct the 35W bridge that meet the safety of citizens.
Sources:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/01/bridge.collapse/index.html
http://www.35wbridgecollapse.net/

Design Tragedy in the Twin Cities

Sources:
http://www.35wbridgecollapse.net/

Blog Prompt 1

Inspired by Andy Goldsworthy (and our discussions today), document and investigate, through text and image - this idea of energy, flow and transformation through the city.

From the last lecture in ARCH 1701 The Design Environment on January 31, 2008, we finished up the film called Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy. The film gave us ideas of what the environment is like. As architecture, you see the circumstances, objects, or the conditions that plays with the environment. You need to keep in mind of the complex of the physical, chemical, and factors; such as the climate, soil, and living things, that act on organism or the ecological system. Andy Goldsworthy was showing us that energy flows through the environment. Energy can be converted from one form to another. One form of energy can be the energy we put into creating a pattern or designs through many attempts. Like in the film, Goldsworthy made many attempts to create a design even though it did not turned out how he thought it would be. For example, in the beginning of the film, he construct a design through icicles, but sometimes the icicles would fall off, melt down, or the piece is not the right fit. Even though it did not work out, he tried again with new ideas that developed from his previous design and learned what worked and what did not work out. With the environment, it grows to meet our needs and culture. From these changes of human behavior patterns, we create a sense of the natural forces, the cultural environment, the historical environment, and the social environment.