Definition, week 6

Last week's definition: Leadership means being aware of one's own personal values as one assumes responsibilities for the direction of others, taking deliberate approaches to guide subordinates toward goals while providing them with hope, stability, compassion, and trust.

This week's definition: Leadership means being aware of one's own personal values and making wise ethical choices as one assumes responsibilities for the direction of others, taking deliberate approaches to guide subordinates toward goals while providing them with hope, stability, compassion, and trust.

My definition has only morphed slightly, as I added a note about ethics because of this week's readings. In Kidder's article, "Overview: The ethics of right vs. right," several examples of what I believe to be leadership were mentioned through the scenarios given, which informed my updated definition of leadership. For example, the librarian's dilemma exhibited excellent leadership in that she was caught between holding true to her beliefs. I believe it is crucial that leaders exhibit informed ethical choices, even if they are not what some consider to be "right;" they simply must be informed using the leader's own self-awareness and values, as we learned in a previous week.

Reference:
Kidder, R. M. (2003). "Overview: The ethics of right vs. right." How Good People Make Tough Choices (pp. 13 - 29). New York: Simon & Schuster.

Grade: 10 out of 10
Clarity of the new definition: 2 points
Thoughtfulness of the analysis: 6 points
Grammar, spelling, and APA style: 2 points