Definition, week 7

Last week's definition: Leadership means being aware of one's own personal values and making wise ethical choices as one assumes responsibilities for the direction of others, taking deliberate approaches to guide subordinates toward goals while providing them with hope, stability, compassion, and trust.

This week's definition: Leadership means being aware of one's own personal values and making wise ethical choices as one assumes responsibilities for the direction of others, taking deliberate approaches to guide subordinates toward goals while providing them with hope, stability, compassion, and trust.

My leadership definition has not changed this week because the article "Leadership in a (permanent) crisis" has only reinforced my definition of leadership. The article's discussion of leadership tactics for difficult times confirmed the various elements of my definition. It confirmed the necessity for hope, stability, compassion, and trust through difficult circumstances, as a previous article indicated that these qualities are especially necessary through times of crisis. The great amount of responsibility necessary to guide a group of people through a crisis confirms that my definition must include that "one assumes responsibilities for the direction of others, taking deliberate approaches." In conclusion, this week's article indeed confirmed that my definition aligns with my own personal picture of what leadership means.

Source:
Heifetz, R., Grashow, A., & Linsky, M. (2009). "Leadership in a (permanent) crisis." Harvard Business Review, 87(7), 62-69. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=keh&AN=41997981&site=ehost-livee

Grade: 10 out of 10
Clarity of the new definition: 2 points
Thoughtfulness of the analysis: 6 points
Grammar, spelling, and APA style: 2 points