Definition, week 8

Last week's definition: Leadership means being aware of one's own personal values and making wise ethical choices as one assumes responsibilities for the direction of others, taking deliberate approaches to guide subordinates toward goals while providing them with hope, stability, compassion, and trust.

This week's definition: Leadership means assuming both a servant and a directorial position while being aware of one's own personal values and making wise ethical choices as one assumes responsibilities for the direction of others, taking deliberate approaches to guide subordinates toward goals while providing them with hope, stability, compassion, and trust.

This week, my definition was impacted by Barbuto and Wheeler's Servant Leadership article. In my opinion, a leader absolutely must exhibit qualities of a servant while also being a figure of direction and authority in order to be successful. No one ever wants to follow a leader who is nothing but demanding and forceful. A symbiotic relationship between leaders and followers is necessary to achieve the perfect balance. I would know from personal experience that it feels better for both parties involved if a leader can contribute back to the group. I, for example, always feel most confident as a leader when I exhibit qualities of a servant leader such as empathy and self-sacrifice. I appreciate the same in leaders when I am a follower. In conclusion, this article so greatly impacted me that I felt compelled to change my already lengthy definition of leadership to include a clause referencing this article.

Source:
Barbuto, J. E., & Wheeler, D. W. (2007). "Becoming a Servant Leader: Do you have what it takes?" Retrieved from www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g1481/build/g1481.pdf

Grade: 10 out of 10
Clarity of the new definition: 2 points
Thoughtfulness of the analysis: 6 points
Grammar, spelling, and APA style: 2 points