Definition, week 15

Last week's definition: Leadership means assuming both a servant and a directorial position while being aware of one's own personal values, perspectives, and prejudices and making wise ethical choices as one assumes responsibilities for the direction of others, taking deliberate approaches to guide subordinates toward goals while providing them with hope, stability, compassion, and trust. A leader can be either appointed by a group or one can emerge from the group itself.

This week's definition: Leadership means assuming both a servant and a directorial position while being aware of one's own personal values, perspectives, communication styles, and prejudices and making wise ethical choices as one assumes responsibilities for the direction of others, taking deliberate approaches to guide subordinates toward goals while providing them with hope, stability, compassion, and trust. A leader can be either appointed by a group or one can emerge from the group itself.

This week, I added a note that says that leaders should be aware of their communication styles. I became aware of this because of this week's reading by Saphiere et. al. I really liked the circus metaphor and the examples provided in the article. I now know that leaders must be aware of the various dimensions of communication in order to be most successful, especially the ones noted in the article. Awareness is key, as we learned in previous weeks. Awareness of self, others, situations, and other things makes for an excellent leader.

Source:
Saphiere, D. H., Mikk, B. K., & Devries, B. I. (2005). "Factors Affecting Communication Style: Starring acts in the circus." 47 - 82. Retrieved from http://www.download-it.org/free_files/Pages%20from%20Chapter%2003%20-%20Factors%20Affecting%20Communication%20Style-c2c273a32b32ce590fe42518fa48db05.pdf.

Grade: 10 out of 10
Clarity of the new definition: 2 points
Thoughtfulness of the analysis: 6 points
Grammar, spelling, and APA style: 2 out of 2 points