Emily Kolb Blog Entry 2

This week I've been mainly thinking about our question of if Marlowe is a rebel or not and what this label means. It's been difficult to put the articles I've been looking at in the context of this question- the authors I'm reading aren't looking at that. As we move forward, I feel like I need more historical context. To rebel suggests a contrast between two things- I have a good idea of Marlowe- but not so much an idea of the actual historical context in a more specific way (literally- that year, that day, etc). I have a solid idea of Christian theology in general- but not such a specific one. The article that I've focused on paints an interesting picture of Satan and sin to me but what would it have seemed to the audience of the time?

Another interesting question that ran across my mind this week was this idea of Marlowe as an atheist. Because not much information- looking at this play specificly- serves to support that theory. However, it's possible that Marlowe would have been trying to expose a skeptical view of the world but then also trying not to been seen as an atheist (I was listening to something about Descartes who was writing a few years after Marlowe and he kept affirming his belief in God, ostensibly not because he was trying to forward theistic thinking, but rather because he was afraid of the consequences of his thoughts gaining him the dangerous title of atheist). Looking at the death of Marlowe, which some have claimed to be related to his atheism, this would support a view of Doctor Faustus as being part of an attempt to avoid this title of atheist.

The article I read was about what Marlowe was attempting to say about Evil. That it was trying to reveal the frivolous nature of evil in the world. Considering what I said above, I wonder if we could get anywhere looking at if Marlowe was trying to say something about badness, self-indulgence, pride outside of a theological sense- not considering so much the theological implications of this behavior, but rather the worldly consequences. And that Marlowe put this questions in this religious context in order to make his idea palatable (even legible?) and also to avoid the title of atheist.

Emily, you say: "I feel like I need more historical context." You'll always feel that way. But the task here is to look at what you have and then begin to sculpt that information. You'll never know everything. Based on what you know now, what can you say about Marlowe "the rebel"?

But then I wonder: is the rebellion of Marlowe your main focus, or are you focusing on something else? For example, his atheism? Does being an atheist in Elizabethan England make you a rebel? Are you trying to tie these two strands of research together?

And then there's Evil! You've laid out three huge topics here. I'd like for you instead to focus on one for the sake of these journal entries. Allow for the possibility that focusing on one topic in these entries will help you to focus on the research project as a whole. To achieve this focus, pick a specific quotation from one article and write about that sentence here.

GRADE: 90%