Katie O'Neill Blog 3

For our presentation, I am going to open with talking about Marlowe's life and his religious upbringing. We refer a lot to his turning away from his religion in the presentation so we figured it would make sense for somebody to mention what this religion was. Also, We shouldn't just dive right into analyzing Dr. Faustus without giving the class some background info on Marlowe. I am going to specifically mention his family's religion and how he went to primary school that emphasized the teachings of the church of England and then went to college on a scholarship from a member of the church. His life seemed entirely driven by religion until he wrote that letter to the privy council questioning the bible and religion as a whole. What made him change his mind/ways? Or was he always skeptical of religion and continued to learn about it to strengthen his arguments?

In regards to watching other's presentations, I found a lot of good ideas to use in our presentation. They are as follows: try not to look at note cards (it is distracting to the audience), my presentation needs pictures or engaging aspects (prezi), empty spaces with no talking are awkward for everyone, but also, when the whole group is trying to chime in, it gets awkward. Find the happy medium. When you stand in front of the class and look bored, we're bored. Be engaging. Use your hands when you talk. Don't give too much history without getting to the main point. TALK LOUDLY. While it is a good idea for the whole group to continually contribute, (I think this is so much more engaging, it's like watching a discussion rather than being lectured at) it will make you lose track of time very fast. Talking during a video worked once, but not the second time. If we're going to do that, watch video volume. Making the class read a slide out loud encourages audience interaction.

Your list of "Dos and Donts" is interesting. I wonder how they will help you in practice, meaning during the doing of the presentation itself. For you final entry after the presentation, perhaps you could continue your appraisal of your own group and dig into the things that worked and the things that didn't. I always advocate for a close reading of texts, but you could use your presentation as the "text" you scrutinize. Thus, you wouldn't have to write about your sources, but you would have to cultivate a deep, self-reflexive entry about the culmination of this project.

Grade for this entry: 93%