Murals in Washington, DC painted in rundown areas

Teenagers in Washington, DC, are now using the idea of graffiti to turn the city's rundown areas into art, according to a BBC news broadcast.

The video opens with scenes painted on buildings--intricate and artistic scenes that are described with even more adjectives by the reporter as hip-hop music plays in the background. The reporter then describes how the publicly funded mural program is targeting hit-and-run graffiti artists to show them what else can be done with aerosol paint. She talks to one teen who taught children how to paint with aerosol cans over the summer.

She then mentions the murals can be used not only for artistic and aesthetic purposes but also to preserve history. She talks to an African-American hip-hop DJ who says the murals paint a literal picture of the history of the city. He says the murals are a tribute to the city and also to the individuals it pays homage to, like Benjamin Banneker, Langston Hughes, and more.

The reporter says there are murals in about 20 different locations throughout the city, deliberately placed where there is a lot of illegal graffiti.

The video footage ends with the same hip-hop song playing and the scenery of the murals, which helps to tie the story together and let the viewer know it has ended.

Fire leaves thousands homeless in shantytown

BBC news reports on a fire that spread through a shanty town outside the Filipino capital Manila.

The broadcast opens with the reporter giving scene details as viewers watch the video footage of the houses in flames. BBC says the fire destroyed hundreds of house and may have made as many as 7,000 people homeless.

There is a lot of video footage of the fire and the smoke as well as scenes of people fleeing. The reporter does not immediately mention the location of the fire, probably because it was mentioned in the "lead" that the anchor gave before the reporter's voiceover came on.

There are two quotes in the middle of the footage from people who were living in the shantytown when the fire happened. The voiceover of a translator lets the audience know what the people are saying. The witnesses - two women - say there was black smoke everywhere and children were running around screaming "fire." They said they weren't able to save anything from the flames.

The regional director of the fire department, who isn't named in the footage, says the strong winds made the fire spread even more quickly.

Now, BBC says many people have been moved to temporary accommodations as they wonder what to do next.

Arizona's new illegal immigration law

Arizona's governor Jan Brewer signed a bill into law Friday regarding illegal immigration, despite criticism from both the president and a crowd of protesters. WCCO reports on the event.

An article on their website says hundreds of people gathered to protest the illegal immigration bill, which now allows police to question anyone who they think is in the United States illegally. The protesters say the new law violates civil rights that Latino-American citizens are supposed to have. In the video footage, the crowd is shown gathered close to one another.

The law also will allow lawsuits against government agencies who won't or don't enforce these immigration laws and will make it illegal to hire illegal immigrants for labor or to knowingly transport them.

There are surprisingly more quotes in the article than in the video footage. Most of the video is Don Shelby talking about what the law will mean for Arizona, being that it has the most problems with illegal immigration in the southern U.S. He says the law will definitely make a trip to the White House (to make sure it's legal and doesn't violate any American citizen rights).

The article also mentions what younger kids think about the bill by including a quote from a 13-year-old American citizen who says it's going to change everyone's life in Arizona now because they won't be able to walk to school anymore or play in the streets without the police thinking they are illegal immigrants.

University student attacked after Twins game

A University of Minnesota student and her friend were attacked on the Hennepin County Bridge as they walked home from a Twins game. Neither Kelly nor her friend Dave gave their last names, but they are featured in a video in WCCO's video library. They relive the event as it happened on the bridge.

Kelly explains they punched Dave first and then her as she stood there watching in shock. The three attackers then stole Kelly's purse and later threw it in the river. In both the video footage and the news article, Kelly says her checkbook and a DVD she had with her were lying on the pavement after the attack and her purse was located in the river later. The reporter mentions Kelly's only valuable item in the purse was a flash drive with a final project for school on it.

In both the video and the article, there are a lot of quotes from Kelly. She says she was hurt emotionally and physically, which can be seen from the bruises on her face and her distraught tone. She says she posted an angry letter on Craig's list in hopes that her attackers, none of whom Kelly or Dave could identify, might see it and not hurt others again.

Possibility of new trial for St. Paul Toyota driver

WCCO posted a video in their video library broadcasting the story of a St. Paul man whose Toyota Camry killed three people in a car accident in 2006.

The crash occurred off Snelling Avenue in St. Paul. Koua Fong Lee was convicted by a jury a year later of criminal vehicular homicide.

Now, Lee's lawyers are arguing that sticky accelerators in his 1996 Toyota may have been at fault for the crash. Toyota has recalled other models for that problem, but the 1996 model wasn't part of the recall. His attorneys are also arguing about the brakes and the cruise control. An inspection of the vehicle is underway because other Toyota drivers have complained about similar problems. However, WCCO said they were not able to get their cameras inside the inspection.

Lee's attorneys want him out of jail, but county attorneys say it isn't that easy because there was previously a lot of investigation and analysis and Lee was still fairly convicted of killing those people.

WCCO reported that it could be several weeks before the results of the inspection are in, and then it could be an additional 15 days before a decision about a new trial is made.

Tom Petters sentenced

Tom Petters was sentenced to 50 years in prison on Thursday, April 8, after being convicted of 20 counts of wire fraud, mail fraud, money laundering and conspiracy.

His $3.7 billion scheme included hedge funds, pastors, missionaries and retirees among its victims, the Star Tribune reported. They said that Petters apologized to those who were hurt by his actions, but he didn't admit guilt. He claimed he didn't know about the fraud within his operations at Petters Group Worldwide, but U.S. District Judge Richard Kyle said he didn't believe that statement.

The defense said four years of prison time would suffice as punishment for Petters, but Kyle said the longer sentence was necessary, the Star Tribune reported. However, he did not grant the maximum of 335 years, as prosecutors had argued, because 50 years was basically a life sentence anyway for 52-year-old Petters-- he would be 93 before he could go free, if he got time taken off for the 18 months he's already served and/or for good behavior.

According to the article, Judge Kyle said he would recommend that Petters be allowed to serve his time in Minnesota, which would let him be closer to his family, including his two young sons, but ultimately the decision will be up to the Bureau of Prisons.

The defense said Thursday in court that Petters is innocent and they plan to appeal.

According to the Pioneer Press, on Tuesday, April 13, Petters filed that appeal. However, the article said the corporate insurance policy that has paid for Petters' defense up until now won't cover the appeal, so Petters asked that the court appoint an attorney for him because he's out of money; he asked they appoint Eric Riensche, who has been a part of the defense team throughout the trial, the Pioneer Press said.

Nurse fired after stopping CPR

According to a Minnesota Department of Health investigation, a nurse manager at a Woodbury nursing home stopped CPR for a resident before emergency assistance arrived, violating protocol, said the Pioneer Press.

According the the investigative report, The Woodbury Health Care Center resident's medical record called for full life-saving efforts; the resident suffered from late-stage breast cancer and respiratory problems. However, on December 10, 2009, the nurse manager told a caregiver to stop CPR after the resident went limp. The caregiver continued anyway, but the manager then raised her voice and told him to stop.

According the Pioneer Press, the state investigation said the nurse acted outside her scope of duties when she not only prematurely halted CPR but also declared the resident's death before a higher authority. They said the care center trains its staff on American Heart Association guidelines for CPR and no sanctions were issued against them.

The nurse manager claimed she didn't know she wasn't supposed to stop CPR, the Pioneer Press said. However, several other workers understood the correct CPR protocol, according to a state investigator, which is to continue CPR unless they are too tired, someone else arrives to take over, or a physician declares a patient's death. The nurse manager was then fired; she had had been disciplined twice before for her behavior and once before for not following wound management protocols.

The care center did say this incident does not reflect their usual level of quality and care by their "devoted" staff, the Pioneer Press said.

Priests investigated after being accused of sexual abuse

The Star Tribune published an investigative report by the Associated Press detailing cases of Roman Catholic priests accused of abuse. The investigation spans 21 countries across six continents and includes 30 cases.

Rev. Denis Vadeboncoeur, 69, served 20 months in a Quebec prison after pleading guilty to sexual abuse of four teenage boys, AP reported. Then, in 2005, he was convicted of raping an adolescent boy and is currently serving a 12-year sentence in a French prison. The bishop at the time, Jacques Gaillot, said giving Vadeboncoeur a second chance was a mistake.

Rev. Francois Lefort, a French priest and humanitarian doctor, was convicted in 2005 in France of raping six minors in Senegal in the mid-90s. AP noted that Catholic authorities did not restrict him from working with minors while the allegations were still pending; French observers say that procedure was standard at that time, but it has changed in the past few years.

Rev. Patrick Maguire wanted to become a priest to deal with his impulses, AP said. Since priests don't have sex, his attraction to either sex wouldn't be important, a report by an Irish commission said. AP reported Maguire first worked in Japan but was sent to Ireland after complaints about his inappropriate behavior with the young males. In the mid-70s, Maguire worked in the northwestern Ireland Raphoe diocese. Here, he had altar boys stay with him overnight, AP said, so he was sent for treatment in England, where he was diagnosed as a pederast, a man who sodomizes boys. After more complaints after treatment, he returned to the facility. Currently, AP said he is living in a Columban residence northwest of Dublin where his behavior is monitored.

These are just a few of the cases described in the Associated Press's article. Details surrounding the cases include the priests having been accused of rape, sodomy, or some other kind of sexual abuse. Both young girls and boys have been affected, as well as older women and men (some married) and even those with mental illnesses. This investigation clearly took a long time to construct and shows diligent information gathering and synthesizing.

Britain investigates errors in organ donation

Britain's National Health Service Blood and Transplant organization announced Saturday that it was investigating errors in its organ donor list--several thousand errors--that go back about a decade, the Star Tribune said. They reported the donor list of about 14 million poeple has been affected by technical errors since 1999, and some people may have had organs removed without proper consent as a result.

For example, some people who wanted to donate their lungs or skin were incorrectly identified as people who wanted to donate their corneas or heart, the Star Tribune said. An official at the National Health Service said everyone on the register was a willing donor of some kind. She said no data has been lost, the problem has been contained and families have not yet been contacted since the investigation is ongoing.

About 800,000 people have been affected by the mix-up, the Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported. They said 45 of those people have since died and donated organs, and just under half of those are thought to have made incorrect donations.

Every Briton is considered a non-donor unless they register as one or their family decides to donate their organs after death, the Star Tribune said. They also said the British government has been trying to increase Britain's rate of organ donation, which is one of the lowest in Europe, and has spent a lot of money on an awareness compaign.

Also, other technological mishaps have happened in the country in the past few years, the Star Tribune reported, including misplaced data on 3 million driving test candidates, 600,000 army applicants, and 5,000 prison officers. In 2007, computer disks carrying bank records and other information on nearly half of Britain's population were lost. These mix-ups and losses have raised concern over whether or not the government can handle their citizens' information.

Joyce Robins, the co-director of patient watchdog group Patient Concern, told the Star Tribune these mishaps happen too often, and even though they are being told their data is safe, it's "rubbish" because the same things keep repeating themselves.

On Tuesday, the Iraqi Journalists' Union called on the Iraqi government to investigate the killing of two Reuters employees by U.S. Apache helicopters, the Star Tribune said. They reported that the incident, which happened on July 12, 2007, has been reported before, but it was not until video footage of it was released by a Web site that anger over civilian killing at the height of the war was reignited.

The video was posted Monday by the Web site It's a 38-minute black-and-white film that shows a group of men moving down a road, some of whom were believed to be carrying weapons. The gunships then attack the grup, killing most of the men, then destroy a van after people show up to help the wounded.

The aviators said on the tape they believed they killed 12-15 people. Among those are believed to be a Reuters photographer, his driver and the injury of two children. Reuters said it could not verify the video was of its employee dying; however, it did appear the victim had a camera slung over his shoulder.

The U.S. military said Monday it was investigating the authenticity of the video. According to the Star Tribune, a senior U.S. military official said the footage was authentic. He agreed to talk under anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about the video, the Tribune said, and he did say that the military could also not confirm the identities of the Reuters employees who were supposedly killed.

The Star Tribune said the video happened at a time when violence was peaking in Baghdad and the U.S. death toll was increasing. In previous investigation into the incident, the U.S. military said the U.S. troops acted appropriately. However, the Star Tribune then reported that the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said a deeper investigation is needed in light of this video. According to this organization's research, at least 16 journalists have been killed by U.S. forces in Iraq since the U.S. invaded in March 2003.

So far, there is no evidence that journalists were intentionally targeted.