The president and religion

After the president's recent press conference, one of the primary criticisms leveled against him was for his belief in God. Now many people in today's society will claim a belief in God, but they reserve the right to define God and the extent of their belief. According to them, one of the most dangerous forces in today's society is somebody who not only believes in God, but also incorporates that belief into their daily actions.

Pundits claim it is fine for the president to acknowledge God, but to pray daily and seek guidance is fanatical and dangerous. Critics and Journalists such as Andy Rooney from CBS' 60 Minutes, Tom Shales of the Washington Post, and Frank Rich of the New York Times have all denouced as lunatics someone that believes they can know God personally.

Tonight, PBS' Frontline -- NY TImes review will air a documentary called "The Jesus Factor" ( I will try to watch some of this. If you see it, let me know what you thought) which it claims will show how religion affects President Bush's decisions. I have not seen it, so I don't know how it will portray the topic, but I am concerned at the overall message from the media -- "Religion is fine as long as it doesn't affect your life."

The overwhelming criticism of "The Passion of the Christ" by most mainstream movie critics was that it was too faithful to Scripture.

John Kerry assures us that he is religous (Roman Catholic) but that he does not allow religion to affect his daily life (abortion policies).

What can we do in the public debate on this issue? We can stop withdrawing from the debate entirely. We can tell the world what we believe and why. Don't be afraid to write a letter to the editor or an article detailing a Christian's thoughts or beliefs on a topic. Be positive instead of negative. In other words, instead of simply attacking issues or people for how wrong or bad they are, point out what Scripture says and why it is important. Christians are know for what we are against, but can't we tell people what we stand for and why we believe?

Continuing to withdraw from the public discourse or even the world does not protect or shelter us from the evil, it also shelters people from the truth that we know.

Posted by teach002 at 1:42 PM

John Kerry's own speech condemns him

I thought I would start out with posting an article written by John Kerry during the 1992 election. Contrast this with his comments today about President Bush and Vice President Cheney, not to mention his lying about discarding his medals. I will post more original thoughts and items later, but thought that this was important now.

Copyright 1992 The Washington Post

February 28, 1992, Friday, Final Edition

HEADLINE: No Time to Resurrect Vietnam

BYLINE: John F. Kerry

BODY:
The following statement was made on the floor of the Senate yesterday.

Mr. President: I rise reluctantly, but I rise feeling driven by personal reasons of necessity, to express my very deep disappointment over yesterday's turn of events in the Democratic primary in Georgia.

I am saddened by the fact that Vietnam has yet again been inserted into the campaign and that it has been inserted in what I feel to be the worst possible way. By that I mean that yesterday, during this presidential campaign and even throughout recent times, Vietnam has been discussed and written about without an adequate statement of its full meaning; what is ignored is the way in which our experience during that period reflected -- in part -- a positive affirmation of American values and history, not simply the more obvious negatives of loss and confusion.

What is missing is a recognition that there exists today a generation that has come into its own with powerful lessons learned, with a voice that has been grounded in the experiences both of those who went to Vietnam and those who did not. What is missing, and what cries out to be said, is that neither one group nor the other from that difficult period of time has cornered the market on virtue or rectitude or love of country.

What saddens me most is that Democrats, above all those who shared the agonies of that generation, should now be refighting the many conflicts of Vietnam in order to win the current political conflict of a presidential primary. The race for the White House should be about leadership. Leadership requires that one help heal the wounds of Vietnam, not reopen them; that one help identify the positive things that we learned about ourselves and about our nation, not play to the divisions and differences of that crucible of our generation.

We do not need now to divide America over who served and how. I have personally always believed that many served in many different ways. Someone who was deeply against the war in 1969 or 1970 may well have served their country with equal passion and patriotism by opposing the war as by fighting in it. Are we now 20 years or 30 years later to forget the difficulties of that time, of families that were literally torn apart, of brothers who ceased to talk to brothers, of fathers who disowned their sons, of people who felt compelled to leave the country and forget their own future and turn against the will of their own aspirations? Are we now to descend, like latter-day Spiro Agnews, and play, as he did, to the worst instincts of divisiveness and instincts of reaction that still haunt America? Are we now going to create a new scarlet letter in the context of Vietnam?

Certainly those who went to Vietnam suffered greatly. I have argued for years, since I returned myself in 1969, that they do deserve special affection and gratitude for service. And, indeed, I think everything I've tried to do since then has been to fight for their rights and recognition. But while those who served are owed special recognition, that recognition should not come at the expense of others, nor does it require that others be victimized or criticized or said to have settled for a lesser standard. To divide our party or our country over this issue today -- in 1992 -- simply does not do justice to what all of us went through during that tragic and turbulent time.

I would like to make a simple and straightforward appeal, an appeal from my heart as well as my head. To all those currently pursuing the presidency, in both parties, I would plead -- simply look at America. We are a nation crying out for leadership, for someone who will bring us together and raise our sights. We are a nation looking for someone who will lift our spirits and give us confidence that together we can grow out of this recession and conquer the myriad of social ills that we face at home.

We do not need more division. We certainly do not need something as complex and as emotional as Vietnam reduced to simple campaign rhetoric. What has been said has been said, Mr. President, but I hope and pray that we will put it behind us and go forward in a constructive spirit for the good of our party and the good of our country.

The writer is a Democratic senator from Massachusetts. He is a Vietnam combat veteran and was a founding member of the Vietnam Veterans Against the War in 1971.

Posted by teach002 at 1:15 PM

The Purpose of Thoughts

I intend for this site to be open to many topics from politics (which won't surprise the people that know me) to cultural topics, to the mundane. I am open to questions, requests for information, or thoughts from others on what I have written.

Warning: Those entering this site may occasionally be subjected to a Green Bay Packer fan's rantings and ravings regarding the current football season.

Posted by teach002 at 11:14 AM