Technological Emergence

Christopher Cocchiarella

Pragmatic ICTs for Technical Communication: Aesthetic and Ethical Experiences in Business Philosophy

Introduction: meaning business

Summary: In this article, my goal is to reflect philosophically on the uses of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) in technical communication, which is partly a reflection on my professional experience. This inquiry will be empirically grounded in institutional economics advocated by John Kenneth Galbraith, and it will be philosophically aligned with the pragmatist tradition following John Dewey.

The philosophical meanings of technologies: some historical overview
Summary: In this section, I draw on various insights from aesthetics, philosophy, history, and social science to help shed light on what the terms 'technical' and 'technology' mean in theory and practice.

Pragmatic technologies: linguistic and aesthetic dimensions behind technical communication
Summary: Here I examine linguistic and aesthetic dimensions behind the uses of ICTs in business, especially from a pragmatist perspective. This examination allows us to define the 'technical' and the 'technological' in the pragmatist senses and to differentiate pragmatic technologies from previous Enlightenment philosophies of technology.

Pragmatic ICTs and the technostructure: uncertainties from technological interconnectivity
Summary: Now we can relate the linguistic and aesthetic dimensions of ICTs to the contemporary nature of technological interconnectivity. I define 'pragmatic ICTs.'

Ethical communicative planning: mutual interests and improved social habits
Summary: This section considers how pragmatic ICTs can function as an ethical basis for business planning in technical communication by uniting facts with values and means with ends to promote mutual interests and improved social habits.

Pragmatic casuistry: beyond the modernist and postmodernist dichotomy
Summary: Before concluding we must make applied pragmatist ethics more explicit by prioritizing moral values like robustness over others like expediency. The method of casuistry with an experimental outlook can serve as a starting point for this ethics.

Conclusion: a pragmatist philosophy of technical communication
Summary: This conclusion insists not only on the importance of business philosophy but also on business philosophy's need for pragmatist thinking in professions like technical communication.

Pragmatic ICTs for Technical Communication.pdf.

• Your article has made me think about an argument from another angle. This is absolutely rare when I change my opinion about such arguments but it looks that you’ve done it. The day has begin with something new! Thank you!

• That's a wonderful comment to read. I'm glad you found the article useful, especially since my emphasis here was on practical application. Thanks for reading.

• Technologies exist in order to make our life easier, this is what expired their creation and I hope that pretty soon we will have even better and more developed technologies!

• Furthermore this crisis is not over yet, and has not yet been described scientifically in a proper way by the time I write this comment. That is why I am not going to use recent situations as an example of the threat of the dependence on Russian gas in the EU, even though it may possibly serve as the best one. The threat however does exist and the recent energy crisis is not the only proof of it.

• This will increase a share of imported gas in Slovak gas consumption, and will deepen the Slovak dependence on Russian gas. Therefore energy security becomes more and more important for Slovak government and economy.

• If there were two different types of pipelines, one supplying the “new” European countries, and the other one supplying the “old” Europe (15 Western Member states ) it would mean that the price of gas for Slovakia (which is conflicted with Russia) could be much higher than the prices for Germany, which right now is technically impossible, because most of the Russian gas is transported to Germany through Slovakia.

• The project does not mention any connection of any other pipeline except for Russian, German and possibly Finnish. Basically this pipeline is to send gas directly from Russia to western Europe with no transit through inland territory of any Eastern European state.

• Communication Technologies its very hard section but keep this up

• GEOTAGS