The School Year is Ending

It's so sad that I am now writing my closing thoughts about my volunteer experience at H'n'H. I don't want it to end!

Continue reading "The School Year is Ending" »

Reaction to the Section 6 Presentation of Goal #6

In section yesterday, I enjoyed the presentation of Millenium Development Goal #6. This group explored the effort of various organizations to halt and even reverse the effects of HIV/AIDS and Malaria, specifically in Zimbabwe and Zambia, two countries in Sub-Saharan Africa particularily plagued by these diseases.

Continue reading "Reaction to the Section 6 Presentation of Goal #6" »

Reaction to Honors Presentation Goal #8

The pair of students who did Goal #8 gave a thoughful presentation and analysis of globalization and the effects it has on Somalia. The following is my critique on their presentation.

Continue reading "Reaction to Honors Presentation Goal #8" »

Mondays at Homework'n'Hoops

I've really been enjoying tutoring at the Homework'n'Hoops after school program this semester. I've been placed with a fifth-grade girl who is very bright and fun to spend time with.

Continue reading "Mondays at Homework'n'Hoops" »

Graphic Playtime

My group is focusing on MDG #2, which is Achieve Universal Primary Education, and our efforts are being focused on Pakistan. The following are the three possible cover pages I have designed for this project.

Continue reading "Graphic Playtime" »

When Homework Goes Awry

These past two Mondays at H'n'H were a little more challenging that my first week with Taira. We got everything done we needed to, however the battle was more uphill that usual. Luckily, one of the weeks we had the H'n'H Points Store to relieve us!

Continue reading "When Homework Goes Awry" »

Interface

blog prompt 6: look for and document some examples of presentation/documentation
styles that your term project may take as inspiration.
Good Resources include:
CMYK (Magazine)
PRINT (Magazine)
Graphis (Magazine)
Core77 (Blog)

Continue reading "Interface" »

Oppositions and I -- making it happen since 1988

I am a phenomenon. Within phenomenon, there are clockworks, frameworks, and things- check, check, and check. I am a clockwork because every morning I get up and I eat, then I do some sort of activity, have lunch, do the next regularly schedule task, eat dinner, do homework and then go to sleep. Then I wake up again and do the same thing the next day. Although the tasks that make up each day differ from each other, I continue to have some sort of periodic pattern that is stable and predictable (I blame this on the basic human needs of nourishment and rest). I am also a framework, made up of various organs and biological processes. And at the most basic level, I am a thing (do I really have to detail this one?).

In class, Ozayr mentioned that oppositions occur in order for existence to manifest itself and that the existence of architecture arises from the opposition of the human and physical domains. So then, it is agreeable to say that I am who my environment shapes me to be.

Continue reading "Oppositions and I -- making it happen since 1988" »

A New Semester at Homework'n'Hoops

January 28th was my first day back at Homework'n'Hoops (H'n'H) since Christmas break. I was really excited for this semester of volunteering because of a few reasons. Last semester, I volunteered on Tuesday nights, which were very full. Instead of doing one-on-one tutoring with one of the kids in the program, I helped to design and execute art projects. I enjoyed the experience but I missed developing a relationship with one child. This semester, I get to be a tutor, and I can't wait to invest my time in one kid!

Continue reading "A New Semester at Homework'n'Hoops" »

Clay

If you were completely released from the constraints of the ‘architecture school’ program, what would you do architecturally, artistically, bodily, lyrically, etc that would still have an impact on your environment. Describe a real or imagined place which might allow you to do this.

ceramics double.png
ceramic vase.porcelain-like applied finish.horse hair.my art

Continue reading "Clay" »

What sculpture is to a block of marble, education is to the soul- Joseph Addison

Brazil2English.jpg

Think about it: Every educated person is not rich, but almost every educated person has a job and a way out of poverty. So education is a fundamental solution to poverty. -Kathleen Blanco

Keep Breathing by Ingrid Michaelson

Continue reading "What sculpture is to a block of marble, education is to the soul- Joseph Addison" »

Whatever happened to the golden rule?

We’ve all heard it, some people more often that others: treat other people the way that you like to be treated. A pretty simple and very applicable concept.

So what happened??? Living in the dorms, I’ve seen my fair share of inconsiderate behavior, the most common of the assaults in the community bathrooms. Within the past two sub-zero weeks I have seen the remains of tomato soup dumped into the sink (which strongly resembles vomit, incase you were wondering) and chicken noodle soup remains in the drinking fountain. Who wants to see or smell that? And the funny thing is, both cases had a trash can within three feet of the disposal area! Forget about the other people you share the bathroom with, I’d rather be a lazy slob.

Continue reading "Whatever happened to the golden rule?" »

I Am A Part of All I Have Met

"People also leave presence in a place even when they are no longer there." (www.brainyquote.com)

This quote by Andrew Goldsworthy speaks of what I find most interesting about cities- the everyday interactions in which you may never know the impact of.

Continue reading "I Am A Part of All I Have Met" »