Quality Matters (QM) is a nationally recognized, faculty-centered, peer review process designed to certify the quality of online and blended courses. QM is a leader in quality assurance for online education, whose standards are supported by best practices and relevant research. The QM rubric is kept up to date with literature review conducted for each new rubric edition. Since QM was founded, it has trained over 8,000 faculty and instructional design staff from colleges and universities across the country.
The University of Minnesota is a member of Quality Matters. There are many benefits to faculty, units and to the University in participating in QM.
Benefits to faculty:
- Ongoing faculty professional development and national certification for faculty teaching online
- Opportunity to be trained as a QM Peer Reviewer
- Development of critical assessment skills for examining online courses and materials
- A road map to follow during the process of course development.
- Exposure to instructional design and new ideas for improving online courses
- Support to redesign existing online course to ensure the development and delivery of quality courses
Benefits to University:
- Improved student learning outcomes and retention in online courses
- National recognition for University courses that meet Quality Matters standards
- Supports the University's commitment to excellence in teaching
To learn more about what Quality Matters is, how it is applied as well as hear the experiences of other instructors who have used QM in their online courses, watch our video on Why Quality Matters.
Read what other online instructors have to say about the benefits of Quality Matters:
"I think for me personally, what I enjoyed most about the process (and about the QM training in general) is that it has given me so many good ideas for how to improve my own courses... and I can't help but feel that I will continue to get new ideas as I review other courses and see what other people are doing." - Michelle Everson, Department of Educational Psychology. Read full article.
"The Quality Matters training provided me with information regarding how to design a solid, high-quality course in an academic setting. I also feel more confident in my ability to make good decisions regarding what technology(s) to incorporate into a course. As using technology in the higher education has become a permanent "trend", high-quality courses and instruction will keep our students coming back versus trying to win them back after a negative experience." - Tani Bialek, online instructor. Read full article.