Measure for Measure

First of all, I need to express my excitement that tomorrow is my last day of the semester:
WAHOO!!!
Now that is out of the way and I can talk about more important things. Last night I went to Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespeare's hometown, to see a production of Measure for Measure by the Royal Shakespeare Company! I'm not sure if I can pack any more cool things into one sentence. I was a little wary at first, to be honest. It was the last play we read in Paul's Shakespeare class this semester, and it's a little weird. Measure for Measure is one of Shakespeare's tragic comedies, which basically means he takes really dark, disturbing subject matter and somehow makes it funny. The whole play revolves around the fate of Claudio, who is arrested and sentenced to death in the first scene for getting his fiance pregnant. They way they interpreted the show was really interesting; it had kind of a futuristic, border-line S&M feel to it. The set was also really cool. Instead of curtains they had long black ropes hanging from the top of the set that remained there the whole play. Overall I really enjoyed it, the comedic characters were perfect and made a three hour play much more bearable. The only thing that really confused me was the curtain call. The entire cast came out and started doing a really strange sort of tango with each other. Not at all what I was expecting. But no matter what, it was definitely an experience I'll never forget, and one of the coolest things I've seen here. That's all for now, time to study for my Spanish exam :)