myU OneStop

The Food Industry Center.

Consumer Concern Over Gulf Oil Spill's Impact on Seafood Safety Still Runs High, But Begins to Decline

New data from The Food Industry Center's Continuous Food Safety/Defense Tracking (CFST) study shows that consumer concern over the Gulf Oil Spill's impact on seafood safety has started to decline. Although 85% of those surveyed in our national sample over the past 4 weeks (the weeks of July 19th through August 9th) still express some degree of concern over the risk the oil spill poses to Gulf seafood, this percentage has declined from 92% in the previous four weeks (June 24th through July 12th). Also, the proportion of Americans expressing extreme concern over the safety of Gulf seafood fell from 53% in previous four weeks to 41% in the most recent four weeks.

Further, the percent of those surveyed who indicated that they would not change their seafood eating habits rose from 43% to 47% in the most recent 4 weeks.

Although consumer concern clearly still runs high, it appears that the upward trend of concern since the start of the oil spill has peaked and is beginning to wane; as news coverage is reporting the oil spill has been brought under control.

CFST research is a joint project between The Food Industry Center and the Louisiana State University AgCenter with funding from the National Center for Food Protection and Defense. The study's Perceived Preparedness Index (PPI) measures the change in consumers' belief about how prepared government and private companies are to respond to food safety incidents. The study's Consumer Confidence Index (CCI) measures the change in consumers' confidence in the safety of the U.S. food system. When the indexes were initiated in May 2008, only 30 percent of consumers indicated that they believed the food supply was safer than one year ago.

Bookmark and Share

I’m impressed, I need to say. Really hardly ever do I encounter a weblog that’s each educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you've hit the nail on the head. Your idea is excellent; the issue is one thing that not sufficient people are talking intelligently about. I'm very joyful that I stumbled across this in my seek for one thing regarding this.

There are some attention-grabbing cut-off dates on this article however I don’t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There may be some validity however I will take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added to FeedBurner as effectively

I found your blog web site on google and examine just a few of your early posts. Proceed to keep up the excellent operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you afterward!…

A powerful share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing a little bit analysis on this. And he in fact purchased me breakfast because I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If possible, as you develop into experience, would you thoughts updating your blog with extra details? It is extremely useful for me. Big thumb up for this blog put up!

It is so very sad. First the original BP spill, now I just heard that another rig has exploded in the Gulf. I hope no one was injured this time.

It is so very disheartening. First the original BP spill, now I just heard that another rig has exploded in the Gulf. I hope no one was injured this time.