Seattle, MN

Enough with the rain already.
Puddles.JPG

My neighbors' yard looks like a hay field ready for mowing

Posted by tgus at 9:22 PM

Looking North

Time for another Midwest hazecam view from Grand Portage on Superior's North Shore, out in the direction of Isle Royale.

GRAND-2.jpg

Just because, for me, Lake Superior is the center of the universe.

Posted by tgus at 11:45 AM

The First Iced Coffee of the Season

A sure sign that spring, and the return to self-propelled commuting, is at hand.

In a week or two.

Posted by tgus at 1:09 PM

Where The Skies Are Not Hazy All Day

Courtesy of the Midwest hazecam here's a view of downtown St. Paul on a crystal clear blue afternoon yesterday:

STPAUL.jpg

Also courtesy of the Midwest hazecam celow is a view at the same time from Grand Portage on Superior's North Shore, out toward that jewel in the big lake, Isle Royale:

GRAND-1.jpg

This camera is at the "Grand Portage Indian Reservation/Isle Royale National Park":

"The Anishinaabe Grand Portage Reservation is located in Cook County in the extreme northeast corner of Minnesota, approximately 150 miles from Duluth. The camera looks to the east out towards Isle Royale National Park, which is located in Lake Superior. Isle Royale National Park, which was established in 1940, is a federal Class I area and, as such, receives special protection from air pollution. The park encompasses a total area of more than 850 square miles and extends 4.5 miles outward from the island (which is 45 miles long and 9 miles wide at its widest point) into Lake Superior. Roadless Isle Royale is accessible only by boat or float plane. This area generally has lower levels of air pollution than urban areas in the Midwest."

Posted by tgus at 7:50 AM

To Snow or Not To Snow

The skiier in me wishes for more snow in what has beome a depressingly familiar snow-deprived Minnesota winter.

But I must confess, there's a part of me that takes some comfort in the fact that certain loud, polluting monstrosities

snow_mobile.gif

are doubtless seeing less action. Of course, the ATV's and SUV's can always provide a subsititute winter speed/power/macho/polluting/littering fix.

So here's to a wish that if is going to be cold here, it might as well snow at least once more this winter.

Posted by tgus at 12:59 PM