Presentations 2

The presentation that I liked the most out of all of them was presenations 2, goal 7. I thought the way that they put together their document was a really innovative and interesting to look at. I thought that they had a good reason for the way that they put it together. I thought that their presentation gave a good overview of what is in their document also. I would have like to heard more about the information that they were presenting, but I understand that they were a little straped for time. The information that was said about energy and forestry and other sustainably resources was really interesting though. I learned a lot of new things from the little information that was provided. Overall, it was a very well put together document and a good presentation.

Presentations 1

I thought that the first group that went (Group 7) had a really interesting topic. I really like that they focused on one oragnization and that that organization was really interesting. I like that it had different courses that were offered through the organization. I thought it was nice that each person in the group had a different course to talk about. I think that those were very informative and that a lot of the information provided by the group was interesting and new to me. The only thing that I did not like about their presentation is that they used their actual document to present. I thought that it was hard to focus on their presentation because I was looking at the document. And the fact that it was confusing even when it was up on the board, layed out, did not help their case.

Titulos

Download file

Download file

Download file

Inspired?

We were told too look into different ways that we could present our projects by looking at some of the documents on various websites. The first website I visited was the CMYK Magazine site. This site was ok. It gave me a sense of different peoples portfolio style. The thing is that they did not look professional. When I am going to design a portfolio, I want it to be structured and easy to look at. With CMYK, I did not find any of those. The next website I looked at was PRINT. There I did not find anything inspiring to look at. Although the covers of some of the issues were kind of fun to look at. The next one I went to was Core77's website. This one seemed the most structured, but I was not looking into doing a blog for my project.
Our group is looking into doing a portfolio, but in a more structured sense. There is an example of a possible page below.

arch1701 2 copy.jpg

Lets Get Physical

The built environment affects my life in many different ways.
Just in looking at the banner above natural phenomena is a big part of my life, whether it be walking through the woods on a warm summer day, or snowmobiling on the slopes on a cold winter afternoon. The way that these environments were set up has influenced how I use them in my daily life. Some other parts of the environment that affect my life are animals, how they interact with humans and how they use the environment around them. Also buildings that have been designed and built for a specific purpose influence my life also.

Things like basketball are also a part of my built environment, they provide my life with entertainment and fun. They also provide something to look forward to at the end of the day.

Lastly, food is part of my built environment. The food comes from the environment around me, then is formed to make something that I enjoy.

Schools Out

If I was free from the constraints of school I would spend my week as follows...
Sunday-
kornthal_church.jpg

Monday thru Friday I would spend doing three things
Baseball
Astros-Brewers-Baseball-2.jpg

Travel
Montage1a.jpg

and Volunteer
MainVolunteering2.jpg

Finally Saturday-
venice_bed_4.jpg

and

sunbathe.jpg

Yes We Can

Change-One of my biggest values. There is always room for improvement, always more that we can do to help, always more that chage.

Helping the Community-Another one of my biggest values.

05_08_10---Cross-at-Sunset_web.jpg

God-This is my belief that stems all of my values.

Finallly, this song really shows how i feel about everything. Love is essential and my friends and family provide that love that can be spread to others.

Engage in Opportunity

An opportunity has come up for me over spring break 08. There are a group of University students working with the YMCA and Habitat for Humanity that are headed to southern California to build houses for the victims of the massive wild fires over the past few years. This is a great opportunity for students to really get involved and do something that is fun for them. I mean who wouldn't want to go some place warm for spring break, and not to mention, it is only $350 to go for 9 days. You get to enjoy the heat of southern Cali while doing something fun, and really helping the community. A lot of the victims lost everything from the wild fires and this group of students is giving a little something back to them. It may not bring back the photographs and memories that were stored in their families home, but it will bring back the sense of home...the feeling of actually having some place to go to every night and be with the people you love.

This is not the only trip that is planned through the YMCA and Habitat for Humanity. There is also a trip to New Orleans to build affordable housin for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. And another trip is going to the Appalacian Mts to do environmental studies. Yet another group is going to Mexico to help clean up the streets and help the residents in the community have a better home. All these trips are good opportunities to have fun, relax, but still help those in need, all for less than 500 dollars.

The YMCA and Habitat for Humanity send students on trips every winter break and every spring break. Contact the YMCA for more information if you are interested.

Inspired

When viewing the film by Andy Goldsworthy, you can see how he interacts with nature to demonstrate flow, energy and transformation. The way that he forms nature to show these things is unreal.
Over break I got the opportunity to travel to Lexington, Kentucky. This city demonstrates the three things that Goldsworthy does also. The flow of this city can be shown by looking at the layout of the city. The city has an axis and also has a circle surrounding the city. Another aspect of the city layout is the way that all of the roads go into downtown. This has major significance on the flow of the people, the flow of the city. It makes it easy to get around the city and compared to other major cities it is much less crazy.

The next way that Lexington demonstrates Goldsworthy's idea is through energy. When walking through the city, the energy is very cheerful. People are always in good moods and there is always something going on. It is uplifting, which is a feeling not everyone gets from a big city. People in Lexington are very friendly and are always willing to help. Overall, the energy of the city is very positive.

The final part of this view of nature is transformation. Lexington has been around for a long time. The transformation of the city is not as evident as in many cities. It is the classic southern town ,sticking to its roots. Where you can see this transformation the most is in the buildings. Lexington still has many southern esates still up, but have build modern sky scrappers around it. I feel as if this transformation is for the worse. The classic buildings are absolutely beautiful and I believe that the sky scrappers take away from the beauty of the city.

Continue reading "Inspired" »