Designing Women/Modernist Identities: Some Thoughts on Emily Carr, Frida Kahlo and Georgia O'Keeffe

By: Paula Rabinowitz

A few years ago, on my way to see Pedro Almodóvar's film, Talk to Her, which was playing at the local indie-flick multiplex alongside Frida, I stopped at the public library to return a book. Parked in its lot was a minivan plastered with reproductions of Frida Kaylo's paintings and a banner proclaiming "Vivan Las Artistas Latinas!" I ran across the street to a drug store, bought a disposable camera, and began shooting away, all four sides of the vehicle. Only when I looked at the developing prints did I realize that reaming the license plate was this work's title: Frida Karlo. This traveling "homenaje a Frida" is part of an evolving landscape of playful feminist post-modern kitsch. The "Karlo" works through design to fashion identity; or perhaps it is the other way around: it uses identity as a mechanism of design.

Read this article in its entirety on page 20.

Screen shot 2010-09-22 at 5.26.34 PM.png

Photomontage of Frida Karlo images taken with the authors disposable camera representing the evolving landscape of playful feminist post-modern kitsch.

Paula Rabinowitz is a Professor and Department Chair in the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Minnesota.

This page contains a single entry by Katie Umenthum published on September 22, 2010 5:24 PM.

Refabricating Architecturally and Designing 'Damnly': Identity and Value in Architecture was the previous entry in this blog.

THERE 2011: Call for Submissions is the next entry in this blog.