« Comparison of galleries: Nash vs. Weismann | Main | film reiview »

Self portrait

Theories on contemporary art are difficult to describe, but what I’ve come to understand is that contemporary art is about how all art is equal to itself rather than a high art low art idea, meaning that a form of art isn’t more important than another such as sculpture compared to scrapbooking. This influences current art by making a divers field for artistic development, new ideas on what is art have appeared. Once again my opinion is that the definition of art has changed from the amount of skill to the ability to convey the intended message to an audience. So some current art my look simple or minimalist but the attempt to make people appreciate the basic principles of art is what dives it.
I personally am influenced by the Pre-Raphaelites movement, the return to classic literature and illustrative nature of art. I enjoy trying to tell a story though a work rather than an abstract idea.
Some artists that I enjoy would be Dante Gabriel Rossetti, John William Waterhouse, and Norman Rockwell. All these artist are very illustrative and they use as much detail as they can manage, a style that I enjoy immensely. I don’t enjoy Van Gouge very much, he has some good work but I don’t like how he uses texture to make people, they always look sickly to me.
My work so far is very much about the figure and how the figure can display a range of messages to an audience, from posture to facial expressions I’m fascinated with how it can be interpreted.