UN Humanitarian Chief Devastated by Sights in Homs

British UN humanitarian chief Valerie Amos became the first senior international figure to visit the Baba Amr district of Homs Wednesday since the government first launched its assault there against opponents of the government, Gulf News reported.

"I was devastated by what I saw in Baba Amr yesterday," Amos told Reuters TV Thursday. "The devastation there is significant, that part of Homs is completely destroyed and I am concerned to know what has happened to the people who live in that part of the city."

Rebel leaders fled Homs over a week ago after nearly a month of shelling from Syrian forces, Reuters reported.

Syria originally refused to grant Amos access to the country, but relented after China and Russia joined the rest of the international community in rebuking them, Gulf News reported. Amos' goal is to secure aid access to the heaviest conflict zones, which have previously been off-limits, Gulf News reported.