Response to SEED Article: Why in vitro Meat is Good for You

Michele Serbus

The article I read from SEED Magazine was on in vitro meat. The process of making in vitro meat starts with a single stem cell or a myoblast. Jason Matheny, a vegetarian and co-founder and director of New Harvest, which is working on producing in vitro meat claims this is a humane alternative to producing meat products, but still allows us to appease our craving and need for protein in our diets. The cells are grown in a nutrient rich media, full of: amino acids, sugars, salts and vitamins. To get the cells to multiple scientists in the lab electronically stimulate, stretch, or add a mechanical pressure to cells. Matheny claims that by making meat products in the laboratory the health of consumers will benefit. Excess fat and unwanted growth hormones will not be present in their products. Although their ground meat alternative has not yet been approved for taste testing Matheny believes consumers and buyers will back this new technology once it is closer to being implemented into the market.

Its creators are looking at in vitro meat as a way to help with world's ever growing need for more meat products. Countries like China and India, which were originally low consumers of meat products, have now been doubling their meat consumption and will continue to do so.

Matheny plays off of the public's new obsession with becoming more environmentally friendly by adding that in vitro meat produces less green house gas emissions and uses less land and water. Matheny also adds consumers won't feel guilty about eating meat that is produced in a lab than meat from slaughtered animals. Considering how stem cell research is constantly being debated on whether or not it is ethical, I do not think that many consumers of meat products will be switching from the traditional way of harvesting meat to the new way to mass produce. The other issue I take into account about this new technology is how would this affect the farmers and their families that raise the livestock we consume. Matheny does not state in the article whether or not this new technology would prevail over the traditional method, but if it did, it would affect a multitude of people.

Michele, I also picked the same article for my blog post a few weeks ago. As I mentioned before in other blog comments, personally I believe that this is a bad idea. Even though this might be a benefit for vegetarian people, and for those who are against animal slaughter, I still believe that this case is still bad. Personally, I believe that everything should come natural. I grew up in Ukraine, in a small town where we did not have grocery stores or other large corporations like we do in America. Instead, we went to different markets to purchase grocery items. That way we knew that everything was natural, and there were no pesticides or other added chemicals in our products. Everything should be natural and organic! And this in vitro case is a bad idea, and should not even come near the market before it kills and takes away people's lives!

I think this is a prime example of a technological fix. As the world is developing more and more meat is being consumed and demanded. Instead of consuming less meat, which seams like the logical answer, we are trying to develop ways to increase meat production. This new system of growing meat is efficient but seems like a Frankenstein project. I think if this technology becomes implemented we will not only compromise life in general but our food. Fake food isn't the answer and we shouldn't begin to implement technological fixes into our food industry because it not only compromises life but could lead to many more problems. Technological fixes seem to create more problems than they solve and I don't think we should toy with our food industry. No food=no life. I think a simpler solution is limiting meat consumption in our diets.

This article is the first that I have heard of in vitro meat. The creation of in vitro meat seems it would be helpful to feeding the growing population of the world, but it's not a process I agree with. I think the use of this would have a large, negative effect on farming communities. Along with the effects on agriculture, I can't see mnay people wanting to consume a product that was created in a lab, because it doesn't seem healthy or appetizing.

This page contains a single entry by serbu014 published on October 5, 2009 10:14 AM.

Response to Seed article: Light-sensitive proteins from algae illuminate the brain, providing a more sophisticated view of neural circuitry - Lilian Keraka was the previous entry in this blog.

Today Will Effect Tomorrow is the next entry in this blog.