Blog Entry 5

Politics of Hunger

I find it interesting how Collier relates the food crisis to three major issues, the first being the upper class obsession with organic farming methods. I agree that many people have become obsessed with the organic way and the need to only eat organically grown foods rather foods that are made through commercial methods. There really is no way to sustain the world's population without the commercial farming techniques used today. If the population continues to grow exponential and food production keeps on growing linearly, then eventually the population will not be able to be sustained.

The second issue Collier brings up is the misconception of science in producing genetically modified crops. GMOs are important in agriculture. They have provided away for higher yields and more efficient use of land. Countries, that have banned the use of GMOs, especially in Europe were there is a lot less land, should be utilizing the GMOs instead of worrying about the possible side effects that have yet arise.  I also find it interesting that in the article from Borlaug, that some individuals believe that GM crops should not be given to countries suffering from a famine. I

The final issue Collier brings up about America trying to cut its dependence on foreign oil is all to true. Ethanol is not the answer for the whole energy crisis. Wind and solar power are often ignored when it comes to sources of new energy. If sugar cane from Brazil would be a better option than ethanol, then the US government should be allowing importing of this and allow American crops to go onto the market as food. If really want our reliance on oil to decrease than we also need to decrease our consumption. Americans are some of the most wasteful people on the planet. It really comes down to whether or not we are willing to make the change as a society. 

I like how you ended that blog post. Truth be told, American’s are by far the most wasteful human beings on the face of the earth, yeah… I said it. They take things for granted and fail to truly appreciate the value of clean water, shelter and available food. It’s difficult to image the consequences and realities of world hunger, because for the most part, American’s don’t know what its like to starve.

Children across the globe, even in our own backyards are hungry, and what are doing with our left-over sandwiches, throwing them in the garbage. The truth is, American’s are in a position to make a difference in the society today and be heard. Why not spread the word of world hunger and do something to make a difference in this tragedy?

- Lilian Keraka

The points written by Collier and highlighted in your post do bring into light many of the issues that people face today. It is interesting how one man's life is another man's luxury. Throughout many parts of the world people are starving because they cannot produce anything but organic crops, yet Americans are demanding it as a new necessity. I agree with his viewpoint on GMOs, the worldwide population has grown to such heights that without them more people would starve. Even now with the existence of GMOs in certain countries there is still starvation. I also like how he is against foreign oil dependence, the dependence on foreign oil is like a crutch that is being used for a fully healed leg, we have other resources available, yet due to convenience we seem to be taking our time in making those resources a permanent solution.

I also agree with all of your arguments that you made, and with the comments that have been posted thus far. I agree that Americans are wasteful, sorry. People starve themselves to death everyday in other countries just because they do not have simple things such as clean water, rice, and bread on the table. And here in America, I have noticed for myself how people become wasteful. Since I work in a restaurant, I get to see this almost everyday! I notice how people become picky and wasteful. Other people who do not have food would be so thankful for such a meal, yet Americans do not appreciate the things that they got.

I also agree with the previous points. I believe that there may be good uses for GMO's as well as bad uses for GMO's. I also understand that the United States as a whole is very wastefull. We do need restructuring of how we manage our land. Do we help other nations with food or dont we? I believe that we do have an obligation to help others and is GMO's the answer? It is possible, but what happens when the world population grows to be too much even with GMO's and earth is no longer sustainable. There needs to be control on population I believe before we start handing out food. It isn't fair that the wealthy do get to enjoy whole and healthy foods, but at the same time most wealthy families aren't having 4 or more children. I believe that it starts with education and restriction on population before we get in to more trouble.

I agree with your post in that we are very wasteful and we take things for granted. The problem is just because we can be wasteful doesn't mean that we should be. This has lead to many problems such as the GMO debate. Whether we should use them or not, whether they're good or bad. How do we feed a growing poplution? I think main problem is that we have procastinated and haven't thought out these problems, so pretty soon we won't have a choice and we will have to use GMOs whether we want to or not.

I think it's selfish to eat organic foods and being wasteful at the same time. I mean, if we think GMOs are terrible, isn't wasting food worse? We can only produce them at a certain amount before we start running out. Once the population exceeds organic food production, we will not have much of a choice but to become dependent on GMOs.
In addition, I think the reason why we don't depend on wind power or solar power much is because they are so limited. Limited in how fast and how much energy they can produce, for what can we use it in, reliability, etc. It is possible to ask the American population as a whole to decrease our consumption of oil especially since we have become more attentive of its consequences. However, it is a big step and will take us a while to make change as a society.

Organic foods are great to have in our market place; it allows consumers to 'vote' for healthier ways of farming. This is because every time someone purchases a bag of organic versus traditional bag of carrots they are telling the producer they want less synthetic pesticides and other chemicals on their food.

Like we learned from the movie Food Inc. we watched in class, most of the organic brands we purchase in the stores come from the large industries that also produce food the conventional way. I don't think organic foods in our grocery stores will create a world food shortage. The shortage will be brought on by the growing populations in third world countries, which will take more than a technological fix to make right.

I agree that a large issue on society is that we are not willing to change. GMO's and commercial agriculture have made the agriculture industry more profitable and made it more efficient. there are many people that think of this as a negative way of farming, but I agree that there would be no way to sustain the3 world's population without GMO's or commercial farming.

This page contains a single entry by serbu014 published on December 7, 2009 10:19 AM.

Maybe too Convenient was the previous entry in this blog.

Blog #5 is the next entry in this blog.