Ending World Hunger

Taylor Nordstrom

Norman Borlaug was one of the most respected men of our time.  He tripled wheat production and increased yeilds in other crops as well by breeding crops together.  He is someone who is credited to have saved the most lives of anyone due to feeding people. 

Borlaug is defending work in crop breeding in this peice and showing that to feed people for years to come we have to keep moving forward with our new breeding techniques.  Borlaug believes that biotechnology is our future, but that right now there is a bad reputation especially with the name GMO.

Borlaug claims through here that genetic crops are going to happen anyways, and that we are just speeding up the process.  I believe this to be true, yes there are some discrepencies with combining things like parts of animals with plants, but I do not see any harm that has resulted.  I did get to meet Norman Borlaug once when he visited the University of Minnesota and I was very impressed with his knowledge and I respected him highly.

I also think that GMOs are not the devil and that if combined with perhaps correct means of distribution the problem of hunger may be solved throughout the world. Yet, nonetheless I can't help but feel relief knowing that there are places such as the global seed bank, which is the insurance that humanity may need because nothing is for certain. People who are starving around the world will not care whether their food is a GMO or organic or whatever, they just want food, so I believe that GMOs is something to keep progressing.

Norman Borlaug was instrumental in starting the Green Revolution, and I wish I could have met him on campus just like Taylor did! Wow, what an experience! I think that the name GMO can be misleading. However, I also think that this is a very important tool in helping reduce world hunger. How else are we going to feed the world without enhancing what we have? GMO's are the key to the future for decreasing world hunger. One thing that we also must do is educate the public about GMO's so that they know the advantages and safety of them. We also have our bases covered with the seed banks so we should be set and ready to go, and be comfortable proceeding forward with this technology!

I agree with you guys about GMO's seeming to get a negative response from the public, but that they really aren't a big deal. Anything that can increase the amount of food in areas that have shortages seems like a good idea. As long as the food is still retaining its nutritional value, we should use GMO's to help the hunger problem.

The poor reputation GMOs have taken on in the media is unfortunate, but the fact that it has been scrutinized by the public so severely and no negative effects have been discovered yet says a lot about its safety. Although this science must be continued with extreme care the potential benefits are too great to ignore. I agree that GMOs are the future of production. They are already being used widely in the US and many other countries. The question isn't whether or not the science of GMOs will be used, the question is how far will the science progress??

Crop breeding is a farming technique that is worth exploring, on a global scale. Africa and Europe need to open their eyes to the provisions such strategies have to offer our hungry world. Despite the fact that there is plenty of food in the world today, people everywhere are starving and forcefully deprived of essential nutrients. By encouraging the implementation of crop breeding, we introduce new methods of food distribution, allowing these food items to be transported to regions where they are desperately needed.

- lili k

I would agree that these types of crops are our present and future. Industrial farms are taking up so much land that using other methods like sustainable farming (which I highly advocate) just aren't possible. It's more important to feed hungry people that to worry about the environment, I regret to admit. The only thing that is likely to change this is an extreme social overhaul and paradigm shift. Neither of those seems likely in the near future.

I am a person that thinks the GMO is scary. However, I do not think that the practice is scary. I think GMOs are necessary in order to feed our growing population. I would like to think that we don't need to rely on the industrial food industry to provide us with enough food, but as we can see, that just isn't possible. I think there are just too many people. I hope that we do find a way to feed all of the world's people, and I think the only way is with GMOs at least for now.

I am a person that thinks the GMO name is scary...

GMO's are important because we need to find solutions to feeding a growing population. Depending on whether you think they are healthy or not we may not really have a choice, because it seems our only choice technology wise. I also think its important to look at problems of distribution to in order to insure that food is equally dispersed.

GMO is not a bad thing, it is not scary because it is not a poison, it is safety for people using. During my research for my paper, I don't think there are anything bad about GMO and there is no one know a negative affect with GMO food yet. It is a solution to solve hungry world problem.

I do not see GMO as entirely bad, either. The genes in the crop are modified in a way that prevent the crop from rotting sooner and is safer for us to eat, even though the food industry's incentive is to earn larger profit. Some genetically modified products also help to prevent bacterial contaminations. I think the danger lies in how we use it, especially breaking down the food and take everything apart to make new products, like HFCS. That kind of scares me because we do not know how those will affect our body. The symptoms may not appear right away but the long-term consequences are not worth looking forward to.
I think this is also a great way to boost food production, such as when we have poor weather that destroys most of the crops.

This page contains a single entry by nords134 published on December 8, 2009 2:28 PM.

Food and an Increasing Population was the previous entry in this blog.