Pirates!

Gee, I think letting a few small warships loose in this area would cure this problem.

A test run for USS Freedom(LCS-1), perhaps

Posted by thomp356 at 2:31 PM

Veterans Day

Today, the Eleventh Day of the Eleventh month, was first noted as the end of fighting in the First World War, a bloody conflict, but no where near as the succeding one. At the end, they promised, "Never again will this happen."

I hope so.

I honor veterans as forbears in tradtion, and what they have done. God be with them.

Posted by thomp356 at 6:05 PM

Pain to Read

While this is supposed to be funny, I don't really think of it that way.

It's more of a pain to read, because it shows how defeatest we've let the media become defeatist. Part of it is how J-schools have deceided to think of themselves as not being Americans first. This anti-Americanism means that the public recives a one sided acount of what goes on, a major disservice to them.

Posted by thomp356 at 3:15 PM

Rule, Britannia

200 years ago today, Vice Admrial of the White the Viscount Nelson defeated Vice Admiral Pierre-Charles Vlleneuve at Trafalagar. This was the naval action of the Napoleonic Wars.

England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty.

Engage The Enemy More Closely

Trafalgar 200 Website
Samizdata Post on the Subject

Posted by thomp356 at 9:47 AM

Important Annivsery

Today, 13 October 2005, is the 230th Anniversery of the founding of the U.S. Navy.

Here's Smash's post.

From ADM Mullen, the Chief of Naval Operations, the 2005 Message to the Fleet:

"It was considered by at least one delegate to the Continental Congress “The maddest idea in the world.” The creation of an American fleet implied independence and sovereignty. It signaled a readiness for war that not all the colonists were prepared to accept. And yet Oct. 13, 1775, Congress voted to arm two small ships and send them on a cruise to intercept British transports. With the stroke of a pen, the Continental Navy was born.

However modest that beginning, there can be no question of the vital role played by the U.S. Navy in defending freedom throughout our Nation’s history. In wars large and small, at sea and ashore, American Sailors have proven time and time again the enduring value of strength from the sea.

We prove it yet today. The Nation is again at war - a long and treacherous war - and we are again stepping into the breech to fight it. From the mountaintops in Afghanistan to the windswept sands of Kuwait and Iraq, from the warm, still waters of the north Arabian Gulf to the broad expanse of the Pacific Rim, we are taking the fight to the enemy.

Let there be no doubt that we are winning. Afghanistan is free. Democracy is being born in Iraq. Al Qaeda, though potent, is weaker. Even the devastation wrought by natural disaster on our own shores - and to our own families - is eased. The lives of millions of people are better because of our efforts and the sacrifices of our loved ones. There is, of course, much work yet to do and challenges yet to face, but I am convinced that this generation of Sailors - at this critical time in our history - will make all the difference.

It might once have been the maddest of ideas, but today the Navy doesn’t just imply independence, sovereignty and readiness. We are those things. In the steel of our ships and the in the hearts of our Sailors, we take them with us wherever and whenever we go. We make them real and we bring them right back home again.

As Capt. Nora Scott Tyson, former commanding officer of USS Bataan (LHD 5) put it, “we know there’s a reason for what we do, whether it’s the global war on terrorism or humanitarian relief. If you’re not flexible and you’re not ready, you’re in the wrong business.” Well, I've seen it firsthand. You are flexible, you are ready and you are definitely in the right business. John Paul Jones and Stephen Decatur have absolutely nothing on you. I'm thrilled just to wear the same uniform.

Happy birthday, Shipmates!

Posted by thomp356 at 9:12 AM

193 Years

Dear General,
We have met the enemy and they are ours. Two ships, two brigs, one schooner, and one sloop.
Yours with great respect and esteem,
O.H. Perry, Master Commandant, USN

Posted by thomp356 at 1:29 PM

Checking In

I've been at CORTRAMID West the past week, and I've finally had time to write something. Last Friday, CAPT Coulson, the Officer in Charge who also is my normal CO, gave a speech about why we are here. it is that we are defending our way of life. I won't have much time here to spare, so this will be brief. Also, I've spent some underway time on the USS GERMANTOWN (LSD-43), a HAPRER'S FERRY class ship. I'm still feeling a bit like I'm underway, with a swaying I feel.

Next up is Submarine week, W00T!

Posted by thomp356 at 10:00 PM

BRAC 05

They announced the planned closing and re-alignment of many bases today. It's been big news, at the top of CNN.com all day. I'm looking through it, and I see a lot of reserve center closings. Some, like the one in Forest Park, IL, make sense, as there's a duplication. But I wouldn't be suprised if there is a problem with reenlistments, because people will be upset they can't go to an easily accessable reserve center. Forest Park is in the Chicago area, and there's another one in Great Mistak-, err, Lakes. However, if one is closed down in some areas, there will be an issue in the next few years.

On Topic Links

AP /CNN list of Bases

John Cole makes commentary, along with his peanut gallery

Smash and crew provide information.

Instapundit links someone else's thoughts.

Posted by thomp356 at 4:57 PM

Fixing the 'Frisco

They've released the first section of the report on the USS San Francisco's accident last winter. The CO gets the blame, because he violated procedures, going too fast and hit a seamount. However, none of the lower ranking personnel should get sacked.

Posted by thomp356 at 1:24 PM

JMAC!

Yesterday was JMAC, or Joint Military Athletic Competition. It's a one day event kicking off Triservice week here at the U. It is a sports day between the Army, Navy, and Air Force ROTC units here. We play volleyball, soccer, American football, and basketball, as well as an endurance run, stretcher race, and tug of war. The Navy unit was undefeated in soccer, volleyball, and basketball, and won the Endurance race. Football and the tug of war were tied with one victory for each service, and the Army won the stretcher race.

The only event that needs explaining is the stretcher race. In that, four guys pickup a stretcher, with a fifth holding on for dear life. It is a 30 yard run. For the Navy, our CO, CAPT Coulson, was the fifth man. He described it as being, "Almost as good as low level." He flew A-6's and EA-6B's as a B/N and EWO. He also gave a speech at the beginning, saying despite the competition here, we all fight on the same team. It is something important to remember. I try not to forget it. Hopefully, the Daily will give us a few pictures.

Posted by thomp356 at 4:44 PM

Rebuilding a KIROV?

This permanant article from Strategey Page doesn't really alarm me.

Even though the Kirov is a huge ship with lots of anti shipping cruise missiles, it isn't that great, for a few reasons. First, the SS-N-19 "Shipwrecks" with their enormous range, have an issue, being targeting data. You also have the issue that you aren't as sure of your target. How do you know the big radar contact isn't an aircraft carrier, but a supertanker or a hospital ship? Also, Global Security.org says that unlike our Tacatical Tomahawks (Block IV), there is no ability to change target. The range also means it's kind of bad. The AGM-84 Harpoon missile, and similar ones, are far better.

Second, they're Russian Technology. That means radiation leaks, breakage of electronics, worse crew acomadations, although the size means they will be better than most. I don't think they'll work.

Posted by thomp356 at 4:18 PM

Definately. . .

Vandalism it is not correct to destroy property to prove a point. If you have to do that, you are saying that you do not have any thing left to say, and are a base, low life. That is what vandalising a recruiting station means.

Posted by thomp356 at 9:22 PM

Interesting!

Well, the Navy is changing its commissioing process. Currently, all officers are, with few exceptions, commissioned as Ensign, United States Navy Reserve. Starting 1 May, they'll all get USN instead. My question is how does this effect the Officer Designatior (Code for what an officer does)?

For example, an officer who is qualifed for all command ashore is 170x. If he's currently USN, he's 1702, if he's reservist, he's 1705 (If I recall this correctly, it's been a while), if he was assigned to admister the Reseves, he was a 1707. Well, the reserve admin guys are already USN, so it's irrelevant.

Posted by thomp356 at 8:15 PM

We've Got Them

"Them" are the people we neeed.

Pte. Johnson Beharry, a Grenadan serving in the British Army has earned the Victoria Cross, the highest medal the Commonwealth presents. Congratulations, Pte.

CNN Story
Wikipedia Article

UPDATE 1046 20 March
Jim Dunnigan

Add others in the comments.

Posted by thomp356 at 1:31 PM